Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/01 20:53:54 UTC

Learning from this week

I’ve gone through the commit@ and dev@ archives to piece together exactly what happened on the 27th.

This type of conflict is disappointing and not the Apache Way.  We need to shine a spotlight on and learn from these types of exchanges.

We have some homework to do.  Everyone read this exchange in detail and with an analytical mind:

 - Look for and label the mistakes made
 - Focus on the behavior and not the people
 - Sleep on it, review your list, then post
 - Do not +1 people’s lists, post your own

We will then have an open discussion on what is wrong with this exchange.  To my analysis I see 7 distinct issues in the exchange.

    Jun 27, 21:34
    AG> svn commit: r1800091

    Jun 27, 21:41
    RM> svn commit: r1800092 (revert)

    Jun 27, 21:41
    [dev@ list] (Fwd: svn commit: r1800091)
    RM> Please don't publish this, it breaks existing links which is
    pby sthg we don't want to do now. Pinged Ivan about it

    Jun 27, 21:51
    AG> svn commit: r1800093

    Jun 27, 21:56
    RM> svn commit: r1800094 (revert)

    Jun 27, 22:56
    [dev@ list] (Re: TomEE Documentation)
    RM> PS - cause it appeared unobvious on jira: we should try to
    keep current bookmarks as much as possible cause users already
    complained we changed them and it is now "done" (= we dont get
    complains anymore or very rarely) so i don't feel comfortable
    breaking it again

    Jun 27, 22:12
    [Commented] (TOMEE-2078)
    AG> Romain Manni-Bucau did you seriously just overwrite my commit?

    Jun 27, 22:13
    [Commented] (TOMEE-2078)
    RM> yep, sent a mail on the list explaining why we can't accept
    this patch as that when you committed (forwarding the commit mail
    to dev@) + second commit pushed build temp files (target/) which
    shouldnt be.

    Jun 27, 22:17
    AG> svn commit: r1800095

    Jun 27, 22:18
    [Commented] (TOMEE-2078)
    AG> You are simply unbelievable.

    Jun 27, 22:19
    [Commented] (TOMEE-2078)
    AG> This ticket is in progress, and I was working on it. How dare
    you!

    Jun 27, 22:20
    [Commented] (TOMEE-2078)
    AG> What do you think the staging is for?

    Jun 27, 22:20
    [Commented] (TOMEE-2078)
    RM> ...did you notice you broke bookmarks and messed up the repo?
    dont think it is being unbelievable to fix it. Also pushing a
    patch without reviewing it is not good too.

    Jun 27, 22:21
    [Commented] (TOMEE-2078)
    AG> On what planet is this acceptable?

    Jun 27, 22:21
    [Commented] (TOMEE-2078)
    AG> You are arrogant beyond belief!

    Jun 27, 22:22
    [Commented] (TOMEE-2078)
    RM> probably the same planet where ignoring a list dicussion which
    is not finished (website structure) is acceptable :D

    Jun 27, 22:22
    RM> svn commit: r1800097 (revert)

    Jun 27, 22:27
    [Commented] (TOMEE-2078)
    AG> No Romain. This ticket was flagged, and with your usual
    arrogance you just trash other peoples work. I was in the process
    of reviewing it. Pushing to stage is perfectly valid. This is
    simply not acceptable.

    Jun 27, 22:27
    [Commented] (TOMEE-2078)
    AG> I will be escalating this incident.

    Jun 27, 22:29
    [Commented] (TOMEE-2078)
    AG> Thanks Ivan - This is a nice improvement

This went on for a while and then spilled over to this thread:

    "Suffocating development environment"
    https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/1306bfc0bb78ef47517db6e3866bb750a72458796f9895545dc39cd6@%3Cdev.tomee.apache.org%3E

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: Learning from this week

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Strike that, the title in the other email is negative and I agree we should go past it.

If people are talked out, then let me give my perspective.

It’s great hearing from Andy, Romain, Gurkan, Jon G, Jon F, and Mark.  You are all contributing to the strength of the community.

We do have more people in the community who have remained silent.  This is an opportunity to reinforce the positives you value in the community.  I hope the more positive title encourages you.

Here are some of the anti-patterns I see and how we can do better.

- arguing or agreeing in real-time / slow it down

  When exchanges go too fast, regardless of if they are positive or
  negative, you are not providing enough space for others to enter the
  conversation.  Your argument or your mutual decision does not
  represent the community.  20 exchanges over 3 mediums in about 50
  minutes is far too fast.

  Slow it down: add a one or two hour gap or overnight gap between
  repeat responses to the same person.

- revert-than-review

  In proper commit-than-review, the commit stands until discussion
  finishes.  In proper review-than-commit, the commit is held until
  discussion finishes.  Revert-than-review is effectively the same as
  review-than-commit, but unequally applied.

  We should pick one approach and apply it consistently.

- personal attacks & antagonism / appologize & hug-it-out

  Calling someone arrogant is a personal attack.  Giving negative
  feedback and using a smiley-face emoticon is antagonism.  Neither
  are tolerated.

  My advice: you should appologize to each and hug it out for this
  situation to truly be "right."

- code-over-community / community-over-code

  This one can be a squishy topic with unclear lines for some peple.
  There is a simple way to measure your actions.  Let's give a
  scenario: A person commits code and it is "wrong".  Do you a) fix
  the code or b) fix the person?

  Chosing A is code-over-community. Even if you put a note on the list
  explaining why, the person will still feel they got their hand
  slapped for touching the repo.  A positive tone won't help.  The
  person will feel educated and disabled rather than educated and
  enabled.  They will also feel the time the invested is wasted and be
  less likely to invest more.  The end result is the code was given
  priority over the person. Over time you end up with a lot of code
  and no people.

  "Fixing the person" means helping them to solve them problem. Point
  them in the right direction, give some options, explain the
  challenges, suggest some revisions.  Anything that allows them to
  fail-forward without taking the problem away from them.

  You should give the person who made the mistake the chance to fix
  it.

- righteousness & smiting / nurturing & enabling

  If I had to try and read minds, I'd guess Andy was thinking, "I
  represent the community, they want this injustice to stop." Romain
  was likely thinking, "I represent the community, they want the links
  to work."  You both, however, excluded each other from the
  definition of community.  If you had both viewed each other as
  someone in the community you needed to nurture and protect, the
  exchange would have gone differently.

  In my experience when you feel the most righteous, that's the time
  to walk away from the keyboard.  Write your note then sleep on it.

  The usual outcome of correcting injustices while you are angry is in
  the process you commit other injustices.

  To know in the moment if you are attempting to smite someone, ask
  yourself this simple question: am I investing my time to make the
  other person wrong, or am I investing my time to make the other
  person right?

- discouraging contributors / encouraging contributors

  Most people do not have confidence in approaching a community they
  view as filled with only experts.  When they see those experts
  fight, there is no chance they will enter that community.

  We will want to be extremely and overtly nice to each other and be
  on our best behavior.

  Seeing situations like this handled positively can actually increase
  the likelyhood of people contributing because they learn "mistakes
  are ok."

With that I’ll say, Mistakes Are Ok.  Everyone is being genuinely good and open in this thread and that’s the most important thing.

Re: Learning from this week

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Happy to discuss over in that thread, but there are still some points we missed and need to learn from before we move on.  I’ll follow up.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: Learning from this week

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
+1

Only the ones who don't work make no failures ;)

Let's learn from it and move on.

LieGrue,
strub

Re: Learning from this week