Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Samip Ladhawala <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/07/16 05:45:07 UTC

RE: child window problem, URGENT!!!!!!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for replying. we are trying to acheive this
problem by avoiding javascript and scriplets as much
as possible. Let me explian our scenario:

We have a JSP page lets call it page 'A' in which we
have 3 fields LastName, FirstName and MiddleName. We
also have a link for search on this page. We have
option that user can enter first few letters of the
last name and search for the person using search link.
We wanted to open a new window lets call it 'B' and
display the names found on the basis of user input.
Now when user double clicks on one name in child
window 'B', that name will be displayed back on to the
parent window i.e. 'A' in the appropriate fields.

We are using following approach for the above
scenario:

we have 2 JSP's and 2 formbeans associated to that
JSPs. Now when user enters first few letters of the
LastName on parent form 'A' and clicks search link, we
submit itself i.e. parent Form. We also have one flag
in parent form ,apart from other attributes, whose
value is "false" by default. In action (We use
DispatchAction) we create instance of child form 'B'
and set the attributes for query into it and put that
into session. We make the flag in parent form equal to
"true" and forward the mapping to itself. Now in
parent JSP we use logic tag to check the value of that
flag, if it is true then we call a javascript function
to open a child window 'B'.
Now in child 'B' JSP onload we submit itself i.e.
Child Form with action equal to 'search'. In search
method in action class of child form we talk to the
business delegate and call the method to get the
results for the user input, which is present in the
child form bean, since we set that from parent and put
it in session. Now after we get the possible matches
on the basis of user input from business we forward
the mapping to same page i.e child jsp. Now when user
double clicks the one value from the list, we submit
child form itself with action equal to selectPerson.
In this method we get the parent form from the session
and set the appropriate values in LastName, FirstName
and MiddleName from the selected value and set the
flag in parentform equal to "false". Then thru
javascript in child JSP we are reloading the parent
and closing the child window. This doesn't reload the
parent window with new values in the formbean, which
is being set in child action. We checked the session
using debugger and we found that values in the parent
form are being updated by child action correctly.

Questions:
1) Does location.realod()[in javascript] flush the new
values set in the session ?
2) What is the best way to refresh or submit the
parent from child?
3) Is there any better way to solve this (By avoiding
use of javascript and scriplets as much as possible)?

Sorry for long Email. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Samip