Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2003/07/30 15:22:55 UTC

[GT2003] Call for Participation

Dear all,

with only two months left before the 7th of October, it's about time we
start planning and setting up the next edition of the Cocoon GetTogether.

For those of you who are new to this, please have a look at the previous
event website at http://outerthought.org/cocoon/gettogether/

As being announced before, the 2003 GT will be held in Ghent (Belgium)
again, in a different location though, smack in the middle of the city.
We were quite ambitious while prospecting a new venue, which means we
have a large room to fill. This year's event will be organized by Orixo
(http://www.orixo.com), but most and foremost will depend on your
participation and presence. Stefano has also agreed to be involved
content-wise, so again this will be a great occasion to meet some of the
core Cocoon developers in real life.

We won't be changing too much from the previous year success formula (we
had 100+ registrations at that time), although we hope to learn from the
experience and tweak things, hopefully also depending on your input.

This mail serves as a heads-up for both potential participants, speakers
and sponsors.

What are we planning to do?

* Hackathon

The day before, October 6th, Outerthought will be hosting a hackathon in
its offices. They/we have a nice meeting room with (Wifi) Internet
access that should be able to sit somewhere around 15 people. We would
like to see a number of 'guided' design sessions, hopefully focussing on
some big challenges ahead, prepared by active developers who want to
have some high bandwidth collaboration around a whiteboard.

The idea is that somebody prepares a brief intro presentation to focus
thoughts and ideas, and that we put some serious time in tackling the
issues at hand. Subjects like 'Real Blocks', 'Caching and Performance',
'WebDAV' or 'Flow' surely warant some quality time together. Anyone who
feels like up to preparing and shepherding such a session (which might
last for a good couple of hours), please speak up.

Outerthought will be sponsoring lunch and snacks during the Hackathon to
keep brains running and blood sugar level high.

* GetTogether

On the 7th of October, we'll be gathering in 'het Pand', where we have
rented a large conference hall of the Ghent university, nearby to a
closed car park and in easy reach of public transport. Also close to a
couple of 'Ibis' and 'Sofitel'-class hotels, and in walking distance
(15') of the Ghent Youth hostel for those running on tight budgets.

The GetTogether itself consists of a number of presentations, with
plenty of time (breaks) in-between to mix and intermingle with fellow
Cocoon developers and users. The presentations will be deliberately kept
short, so that we are able to provide you with an interesting mix of
topics, and plenty of time to discuss and interact.

Some surprise 'acts' are also being thought of, so we'll try and make
this an lively and not run-of-the-mill day for everybody.

People who want to present during the GetTogether are kindly requested
to send in a presentation proposal. Mind you that presentation topics
will be screened for cluefulness, in the sense that we don't want any
commercial presentations. Introductory, tutorial-like stuff into new or
advanced topics are much appreciated though. Please send in your
presentation proposal to gt2003-speaking[at]orixo.com - see below for a
template to help you in filling out a proposal.

* Social events

As with the previous edition, there will be hosted social events on the
night of the 6th and the 7th. If you need to travel to come to the GT,
please consider also to extend your stay in Ghent for a couple of days,
since it is quite a nice city for tourism as well.

* Financials and sponsoring

The previous edition learned us that simply breaking even on sponsors'
budgets only proves to be near to impossible (unless some of you know
where the money bags are at Sun or IBM ;-)

Therefore, with much reluctancy and many considerations, we decided to
ask for a small fee covering the cost of this event. While the exact
amount hasn't been settled yet, it will be in the range between 50 and
100 EUR. The GT organizers are very much committed to make this year's
edition to prove much bangs for these bucks.

Sponsoring the event: In the past year we were approached by several
large companies that use Cocoon about sponsoring the GetTogether. We
welcome sponsors and feel that this is a chance for companies to give
something back to the Cocoon community. Due to the nature of the event
however, sponsors will only have the possibility of placing a logo or
similar on the introductory presentation and hanging a banner or similar
in the location. Also, the social events, handouts and surprise acts can
only get better with some sponsoring. Of course, sponsors can also
remain anonymous. Please contact info[at]orixo.com for sponsoring the
GT2003.

That's all for now. We are working on the website (help is still welcome
though) and registration procedures, so expect another heads-up soonish.
We, Orixo, would be delighted in seeing you show up on the 7th of October.

                                       -o-

GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL

Do not include proprietary or confidential material in your proposals.
We will assume that you do not consider any material included in the
proposals to be confidential. All conference presentations are
vendor-agnostic and should focus on technology. Your proposal should
contain the following information:

1. proposed title for the talk/session/debate.
2. brief outline or abstract of the talk/session/debate
2.a Please be as concise as possible.
2.b Please write in third-person context.
2.c Please list any prerequisite sessions or knowledge you feel is
essential.
2.d Indicate, if applicable, if this is a beginning or advanced talk.
3. For all proposed speakers, include: speaker name, title, company,
address, email, phone number, fax and website.
4. biography for the proposed speaker(s) showing relevant experience and
qualification to speak on the proposed subject matter (not to exceed 250
words).
5. Primary contact/founder name, title, company, address, email and
phone number.

DEADLINE for proposal : September 7th, 2003
Proposals should be sent to: gt2003-speaking[at]orixo.com.

All speakers are required to submit copies of their presentations at
least 2 weeks before the conference.  These presentations will be
included in the conference notes. All presentations will be made
available after the conference in electronic (PDF) format.

                                       -o-

Cheers,

</Steven> - GT 2003 co-organizing puppet
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

RE: [GT2003] Call for Participation

Posted by Vindevogel - van Loco <yv...@implements.be>.
Dag Steven,

Ik zal aanwezig zijn tijdens de Gettogether.
Aangezien ik van geboorte van Oudenaarde ben, heb ik niet echt een hotel
nodig.

Zijn er reeds definitievere agenda's en inschrijvignen ?

Yves

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org