Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by Mark Nüßler <ma...@9elements.com> on 2008/02/14 00:45:34 UTC

speed up build process

hello users,

not long ago there was a thread "Questions/suggestions on WSDL2C"
with the idea to have some improvements with building projects
from the generated files.

at this moment i hadn't a lot of time, but maybe now.
i want to pick up these thoughts and discuss a possible
process which can help to speed up development with axis2c.

it was asked if there is something that generates
a main method to test the code and somthing that
generates makefiles for server and client.

i think nearly everybody here who created a sevice not only once,
goes through his personal same steps over and over again,
to create a running project - waste of time ?

what "we" have ? nearly nothing :-(
the java project has an ant-build script, even when
i personally didn't use it, it is helpfull.

Dimuthu has an ruby script, that can generate a main method
to run the client [1].

i have a skript that can't build makefiles, but vs-studio
files [2].

ok, so fare, what i want you to tell me is,
want are your personal steps, when you want
to implement a service from a wsdl file ?

lets take the well known [3] wsdl file

my personal steps are :

1. have a batch file that generates client and server code in
different folders

2. generate with [2] the vs files

3. create a vs-studio-project for the client by hand and
also implement same basic logic for the main by hand

k, this is windows specific, but the idea behind my generator
could be used for other stuff as well

the idea :

have a generator that can read an
input-file that holds some values needed for output,
e.g path variables for include files. the generators
logic is nothing more than first traverse the source-folders
and gathering information and second to replace some
marks in template files with this information - nothing
more.

i think with the input information and a simple
replacement engine any kind of make-files or ide
specific files can be done!?

i tried to write a makefile for servercode [3],
but i failed - i am not very familiar with this ...
maybe someone can send me one for nmake ?

k, somethink to think about

1. does anybody really needs this kind of generator,
is it helpfull or just waste of time when i think
of this ?

2. with what kind of languages the genearator should
work, so that win and linux users profit ?
--> i would prefer java, everyone has cause of wsdl2java

3. what exactly are the requirements, want would we exspect
from this kind of tool ?

i would be grateful to hear about your thoughts,
maybe you can give me an imagination how you work.

mfg derMark

[1] http://people.apache.org/~dimuthu/leisure/23_oct/generate_demos.rb
[2] www.9elements.com/dermark/axis2_vs_gen.zip
[3] <axis2c-svn>\test\resources\wsdl\Calculator.wsdl

Re: speed up build process

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@wso2.com>.
Hi Mark,

You can include paths with whitespaces using quotation marks.

Regards,
Senaka

Re: speed up build process

Re: speed up build process

Posted by Mark Nüßler <ma...@9elements.com>.
Hi Lahiru,

sry can't see the attachment, can you send it again ?

mfg derMark

Re: speed up build process

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <la...@wso2.com>.

Re: speed up build process

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi dave,

Re: speed up build process

Posted by Mark Nüßler <ma...@9elements.com>.
hello Lahiru,

Re: speed up build process

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Dave,

Re: speed up build process

Posted by Dimuthu Gamage <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Re: speed up build process

Posted by Mark Nüßler <ma...@9elements.com>.
hello users,

Re: speed up build process

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.
Dimuthu Gamage wrote:
>> 1. does anybody really needs this kind of generator,
>> is it helpfull or just waste of time when i think
>> of this ?
>>

> Yea definitely.  we have to provide build scripts for at least both
> linux and windows.

+1.

>> 2. with what kind of languages the genearator should
>> work, so that win and linux users profit ?
>> --> i would prefer java, everyone has cause of wsdl2java
>>

> I too prefer to integrate this to WSDL2Java tool itself. Unfortunately
> we right now can't ask for an option to decide the OS.  Because
> WSDL2Java tool dosn't have an interface for C code generation to add
> it s custom options, and java guys will not like to add a common
> option that will not relevant to them.
>
> So I think the best option is to put in the axis2/c distribution, BUt
> if it is a Java thing, I don't like to put it in a C distribution.

Can we not just generate a build.bat and a build.sh by default whenever
we generated code?

>> 3. what exactly are the requirements, want would we exspect
>> from this kind of tool ?
>>

> 1. Generate build Scripts (both in linux and windows)
> 2. Generate some sample client, i.e. with some demonstration logic
> 3. Generate server.
> 4. Generate test case(s)

+1.

Samisa...

Re: speed up build process

Posted by Dimuthu Gamage <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Please see my inline comment.

Re: speed up build process

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@wso2.com>.
Hi all,

Seems that we are not allowed to attach .bat files in e-mails to the
dev-list. :(

I have zipped it.

Re: speed up build process

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@wso2.com>.