Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Alistair Bush <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/09 03:43:17 UTC

Using Jars located on System without using a repository

Hi

I am currently investigating strategies of how to bring maven support to the
package management system used in Gentoo Linux (portage)

Here is a background on gentoo and portage.

Gentoo is a linux source based distro, portage its package manager does any
compiling, patching, 'draft installing' (anything imaginable within a bash
script) within the directory

/var/tmp/portage/<packages category>/<package name and version>

Portage also locks down all write access to the rest of the file system for
security reasons.  This is one of the problems that is faced in bring maven
build support to portage.

Also gentoo already has a package manager I am looking to essentually disable
maven repository support.   obviously offline mode will help with the
downloading of dependancies which will be provided by portages dependancy
support but I would like to know whether it is possible to specify where
dependancies are located from the command line.

Thanks

Re: Using Jars located on System without using a repository

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Take a look at this recent thread:
from   Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com>
to   users@maven.apache.org
date  Nov 30, 2006 5:24 AM
subject  MAVEN_INSTALL_DIR/conf/settings.xml

It discusses specifying the localRepository in settings.xml file among
other things you might find useful.

Also, there's a discussing on the Maven Dev list about bringing Maven
to Red Hat w/RPMs etc so you might want to talk a look at that thread
as well. I imagine there are a lot of similarities between your goals.

Wayne