Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/01 14:17:22 UTC

Understanding the code repo situation with GitHub

Folks

Do we still have "active" code in GitHub? Can someone enlighten me as
to the situation?

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Understanding the code repo situation with GitHub

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Paul Fremantle wrote:
> Folks
>
> Do we still have "active" code in GitHub? Can someone enlighten me as
> to the situation?
>
> Paul

It gets used to merge / test code better some of the committers, prior
to bringing it to trunk. I
know various people use GIT to manage work, and then merge back to trunk
once the pieces come
together.  So I only know of trees that are used for working on a
specific features, like Steve is doing
with the Windows port.

The big one out there currently I believe is Steve's port with I believe
he is going to start merging, the
big RDMA tree has been merged.

reason for asking?
Carl.

Re: Understanding the code repo situation with GitHub

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
>> Finally, I would be happier if there was a date by which the GitHub
>> code will be re-integrated into the SVN and our GitHub tree
>> decommissioned.
>
> It's in progress now. Hopefully within a couple of weeks that will be
> done.

Great thanks!

Paul

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:

Which other projects are using Git?

Cocoon, buildr and shindig all have projects on github. There are others
hosted on different centralised services and some on personal servers.

- Aidan
http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
"Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Understanding the code repo situation with GitHub

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
> 3. Other Apache projects are using git quite happily and I'm not aware of
> any concerns being raised about it.

Aidan

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Aidan

As long as each patch is submitted individually through JIRA, and the
person creating the patch is the person who wrote it, and they can
therefore click the checkbox that donates that code under the ASL
applies, then what you say is completely correct.

Maybe I misunderstood Steve's previous notes, but that is not the
impression I got.

Paul

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Paul,

> I'm probably going to sound a little bit "arsy" as we say in
England.
> I don't mean to - I'm not criticizing what's happened, but as mentor
> need to make some points here.

No problem at all - I'm pleased to get the feedback. The projects I've
contributed to in the past played "fast and loose" with the code
contributions - the tightness around this area is one thing I
appreciate about Apache and I certainly don't want to go against that.

> 1) Having an Apache ICLA from people who contributed to GitHub does
> not count. The Apache ICLA makes statements about contributions to
> Apache. Code that is contributed to the Github is not covered. So
when
> you then contribute that code from GitHub into Apache then it is not
> covered. Looking back in the mailing list I see that you were poorly
> advised on this front. I apologize for not picking this up earlier
and
> not commenting at that time.

Ok... One problem feeding this issue is that my intro to contributing
to Qpid is a Windows port - not something easy to plop into a single
patch. Since I was hoping for assistance from others and couldn't
check into the Qpid svn repo, even on a branch, I had few options.

> 2) This is a subset of a wider problem. The management of IP within
> Apache is a huge part of the governance of code, and it cannot be
> bypassed without serious consequences. Having you decide if there is
> an ICLA in place and accepting code on that basis completely
bypasses
> the well documented Apache process that is the responsibility of the
> (I)PMC. Luckily the whole point of incubation is to learn these
> lessons, so at this stage this isn't serious. But on the other hand,
> can't leave this undiscussed either!
>
> 3) Its not your responsibility to decide whether contributions are
> significant or not. A significant contribution in one person's eyes
> might be insignificant in another's. The whole Apache project
started
> out from "a few bug fixes". Without seeing the patches go by, the
> community cannot judge the quality of contributions.

Point taken. Thanks.

> Finally, I would be happier if there was a date by which the GitHub
> code will be re-integrated into the SVN and our GitHub tree
> decommissioned.

It's in progress now. Hopefully within a couple of weeks that will be
done.

-Steve

Re: Understanding the code repo situation with GitHub

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Steve

I'm probably going to sound a little bit "arsy" as we say in England.
I don't mean to - I'm not criticizing what's happened, but as mentor I
[...]

lessons, so at this stage this isn't serious. But on the other hand, I

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.