Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2008/10/28 20:58:13 UTC

Creating server instances

For a long time we've been  talking about having an easy way to create
lots of server instances sharing the same geronimo installation
(GERONIMO-3123).  After staring at the farm demo long enough I
realized that we could use almost the same technique to "clone" a
server instance as used to install the same plugins on all the
instances sharing a geronimo install.

The var directory was originally created by unpacking stuff out of all
the plugins installed in the server.  So we can create a new var
directory for the new server instance by creating a ServerInfo set up
for the new instance (i.e. knowing where the server is, i.e. the var
directory), creating a PluginInstallerGBean around it, and installing
all the plugins that are installed on the original server.  After
fixing a few bugs, this amounts to unpacking the stuff out of all
these plugins into the new var directory.

This seems like a pretty elegant solution to me.

There's a new gshell command

deploy/new-instance -n server1

See GERONIMO-4382

thanks
david jencks

Re: Creating server instances

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Ok. .... so there are bugs :-)  Maybe even significant bugs!  Maybe
even bugs that make it totally useless as is!!  But its a good idea...

I'll look into this when I get a chance.  I think maybe I'm calling
the wrong method on the persistent configuration list to find out
what's installed?

thanks for the test drive!
david jencks

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.