Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com> on 2013/06/20 19:41:19 UTC

When is _replicate synchronous?

The wiki docs for _replicate don’t say so, but in practice the call appears to be synchronous unless the ‘continuous’ property is set. That is, it doesn’t return a response until the replication completes, and in fact the response JSON includes a bunch of statistics about the replication.

I didn’t know this when I implemented TouchDB, so I made _replicate always asynchronous. (It made more sense to me, especially since my client code needed to be able to track the progress of a replication using _active_tasks, which meant it needed a response ASAP so it could get the task ID.)

I’m amending this now for Couchbase Lite, but I’d like to make sure I know the semantics. Is it true that it’s always synchronous unless continuous=true, and then it’s asynchronous?

Also, is there any description somewhere of what the properties in the synchronous response mean? Some are obvious, some less so. Here’s an example from 1.2:

 {
    "history": [
        {
            "doc_write_failures": 0,
            "docs_read": 18,
            "docs_written": 18,
            "end_last_seq": 19,
            "end_time": "Thu, 20 Jun 2013 16:58:13 GMT",
            "missing_checked": 18,
            "missing_found": 18,
            "recorded_seq": 19,
            "session_id": "1cef7405d0e61fb0decc89323669a012",
            "start_last_seq": 0,
            "start_time": "Thu, 20 Jun 2013 16:58:13 GMT"
        }
    ],
    "ok": true,
    "replication_id_version": 2,
    "session_id": "1cef7405d0e61fb0decc89323669a012",
    "source_last_seq": 19
}

I’m particularly curious (a) why “history” is an array, and (b) what “replication_id_version” means.

—Jens

Re: When is _replicate synchronous?

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
The history array is used so that the replicator can find a common
replication record so we don't have to start from 0.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.