Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/08/08 04:31:35 UTC

[jelly] Re: unsatisfied dependencies in jelly demos

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, John Farrell wrote:

> I get unsatisfied dependencies when I try to run the first tutorial. I checked
> the JDBC jar on ibiblio, and it's just not there. Is there any point in
> proceeding with jelly, or should I just go back to ant?

Just to make sure you're aware of why you're hitting this problem:

Maven used to support the distribution of jdbc and jms, but as these are
Sun licensed it was decided that having these on the maven global
repository was against said licence.

The Jelly tutorial needs updating probably, something that needs jdbc/jms
is no longer a good example.

Maybe the new Geronimo [Apache J2EE server] will provide such jars that
can be on there.

Hen

Re: [jelly] Re: unsatisfied dependencies in jelly demos

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
On Vendredi, août 8, 2003, at 04:31 Europe/Paris, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, John Farrell wrote:
>
>> I get unsatisfied dependencies when I try to run the first tutorial.
>> I checked
>> the JDBC jar on ibiblio, and it's just not there. Is there any point
>> in
>> proceeding with jelly, or should I just go back to ant?
>
> Just to make sure you're aware of why you're hitting this problem:
>
> Maven used to support the distribution of jdbc and jms, but as these
> are
> Sun licensed it was decided that having these on the maven global
> repository was against said licence.
>
> The Jelly tutorial needs updating probably, something that needs
> jdbc/jms
> is no longer a good example.

I don't think JMS is part of the JDK, or is it ?
(JDBC is, indeed, but is it the last appropriate version?)

> Maybe the new Geronimo [Apache J2EE server] will provide such jars that
> can be on there.

??? I don't think...
The Sun licenses have always been a worry for me and they create these
kind of effects of "non-distributable jars".

We can already be very happy that Apache Software Foundation has shaken
Sun enough so that JAXP can be downloaded appropriately with all xerces
and other xml-using downloads (almost all jakarta libraries for
example).

I fear the problem will stay eternally.
If there is someone of Sun in here, or of the respective JCP. (of
JMS?). It would be useful to consider this more closely. At least, a
formal request should be made for each of these dependencies I think.

Paul