Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Keith Wiley <ke...@atigeo.com> on 2015/07/28 20:33:54 UTC

KafkaConfigurationError: No topics or partitions configured

I'm trying to get a basic consumer off the ground.  I can create the consumer but I can't do anything at the message level:

consumer = KafkaConsumer(topic,
                         group_id=group_id,
                         bootstrap_servers=[ip + ":" + port])

for m in consumer:
    print "x"

Note that I'm not even trying to use the message, I'm just trying loop over the consumer.  I'm getting an exception there somehow:

Exception: No topics or partitions configured
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<timed exec>", line 3, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/kafka/consumer/kafka.py", line 290, in next
    return six.next(self._get_message_iterator())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/kafka/consumer/kafka.py", line 324, in fetch_messages
    raise KafkaConfigurationError('No topics or partitions configured')
KafkaConfigurationError: No topics or partitions configured

Any ideas?  I've been assured (although perhaps incorrectly) that the producer is configured, up and running.  Thanks.

Keith Wiley
Senior Software Engineer, Atigeo
keith.wiley@atigeo.com

[atigeo]<http://atigeo.com/>
[twitter]<https://twitter.com/atigeo> [LinkedIn] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/atigeo>  [YouTube] <https://www.youtube.com/user/AtigeoXpatterns/>  [blog] <http://xpatterns.com/blog/>

Re: KafkaConfigurationError: No topics or partitions configured

Posted by Dana Powers <da...@rd.io>.
Hi Keith,

kafka-python raises FailedPayloadsError on unspecified server failures.
Typically this is caused by a server exception that results in a 0 byte
response. Have you checked your server logs?

-Dana

Posted by JIEFU GONG <jg...@berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Keith Wiley <ke...@atigeo.com>.
Thank you. It looks like I had the 'topic' slightly wrong.  I didn't realize it was case-sensitive.  I got past that error, but now I'm bumping up against another error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/kafka/consumer/kafka.py", line 59, in __init__
    self.set_topic_partitions(*topics)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/kafka/consumer/kafka.py", line 242, in set_topic_partitions
    self._get_commit_offsets()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/kafka/consumer/kafka.py", line 618, in _get_commit_offsets

Posted by JIEFU GONG <jg...@berkeley.edu>.