Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by tr...@thinkvirtual.com on 2002/11/28 20:17:43 UTC

Auto Database Creation

Hi y'all,

Just tested out the tutorial applications using the automatic database creation and it's all good.  So in other words, no need to have the torque schemas because the database is created from the repos.  We may want to look at dropping the torque generation as it is just several extra unnecessary steps.

Also, when making changes to the repos, the next load will add/alter tables with any changes in the repos.  This is a good step in the transparent datastore direction and should save a LOT of time.

To try the tutorial apps, delete the test database or just run ant target "main" and "prepare-repository", and change the OJB.properties autobuild=true.

Travis Reeder

Re: Auto Database Creation

Posted by "J. Russell Smyth" <dr...@cox.net>.
I tried this out for a small test app I am writing and found a small
problem - it dosn't create the OJB_NRM table correctly for Hypersonic! -
the problem is in crossdb - the HsqldbCreateTableQuery class dosn't use
the correct types for LONGVARBINARY - and it looks like others as well,
but I didn't have the time to review that deeply.

I have a pair of patches that allows the auto stuff to work for the
OJB_NRM table, but I am not on the crossdb lists - could someone who is
(Travis?) get this patch to them? (It also removes a redundancy between
these two classes). In the mean time, I would recommend anyone wanting
to try the auto-build feature with ODMG (or any other case of using
(LONG)VARBINARY with HSQLDB) apply these patches.

Thanks
Russell

Re: Auto Database Creation

Posted by Thomas Mahler <th...@apache.org>.
Hi Travis,

Wow! *COOL* feature! well done!

travis@thinkvirtual.com wrote:
 > Hi y'all,
 >
 > Just tested out the tutorial applications using the automatic
 > database creation and it's all good.

I've tested it: works great. This is the DBA's nightmare! Applications
will recognize if tables exist and act accordingly.

 >  So in other words, no need to
 > have the torque schemas because the database is created from the
 > repos.  We may want to look at dropping the torque generation as it
 > is just several extra unnecessary steps.

It would be cool to get rid of the torque schemas (they caused a lot of
pain to many users). But we currently also use Torque to insert test
data for the testsuite.
Maybe we can write a little app that inserts the testdata using normal
entity classes and your automatic table generation.

The Fielddescriptors in repository.xml currently do not contain any size
information. that is, they don't specify VARCAHR(255) but only VARCHAR!
We have to add this information!

 > Also, when making changes to the repos, the next load will add/alter
 > tables with any changes in the repos.  This is a good step in the
 > transparent datastore direction and should save a LOT of time.

cool!

 > To try the tutorial apps, delete the test database or just run ant
 > target "main" and "prepare-repository", and change the OJB.properties
 > autobuild=true.

cheers,
Thomas