Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Thad Humphries <th...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/07 23:39:55 UTC

[imaging] DISPLAY required?

Does any part of the commons-imaging library require the host system to
have a DISPLAY? If so, what are they? Can I avoid those parts of the
library that cannot run headless? For example, parts of AWT need a DISPLAY,
others don't. In servlets, I avoid those calls that won't run headless.

These days I primarily open and manipulate images in servlets. Some of my
customers run headless servers. Even when they do have a DISPLAY, the
Tomcat user might not have access to it.

I've tried one (to remain nameless) commercial package that fails to open
images without a display. That's a no-go.

I'm currently using JAI (mostly), but would *love* to swap it out for
something from Apache. I see no movement to maintain or enhance JAI. Also,
JAI runs afoul of Tomcat's JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener, requiring me to
disable that listener and to restart Tomcat whenever I redeploy my WAR
files.

Marlowe, *Doctor Faustus* (v, 121-24)

Re: [imaging] DISPLAY required?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7 August 2013 22:39, Thad Humphries <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does any part of the commons-imaging library require the host system to
> have a DISPLAY?

I don't think so.
As far as I know, the Continuum CI server runs headless and the test
cases don't report HeadlessException.
But the test cases may not exercise every part of the code.

> If so, what are they? Can I avoid those parts of the
> library that cannot run headless? For example, parts of AWT need a DISPLAY,
> others don't. In servlets, I avoid those calls that won't run headless.

If you find a dependency on having a DISPLAY, please report it via
JIRA as ideally the code should not depend on one.