Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2020/10/27 20:04:42 UTC

JPMS module names

Hi all,

We are starting to get JPMS related bug reports. Resolving the issues is
technically simple but depends on us deciding on the names to use for
the various modules.

The names we choose for our own modules are easy. Generally we are using
the same or derivation from the OSGi module name.

The names we use for the spec API modules are a little more tricky. We
need to (try and) remain aligned with the RI spec JARs.

It looks like Jakarta EE 9 onwards is going to have consistent naming
(at least it does for the modules we use). Java EE 8 / Jakarta EE 8 is a
bit more inconsistent.

I have put together a wiki page that documents the current position and
the naming I propose we use in Tomcat.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/JPMS+names

Comments (in this thread ideally) welcome.

Once we (appear to) have consensus I'll update the builds to use the new
names and start fixing the associated bugs.

Mark

Re: JPMS module names

Posted by Igal Sapir <ig...@lucee.org>.
Mark,

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 12:43 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just a reminder that this is on the radar. I'll likely be looking to
> make these changes early next week as part of the prep for the next
> release round (I need to sort this to be able to fix BZ 64849 sensibly).
>
> Mark
>

> On 27/10/2020 20:04, Mark Thomas wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are starting to get JPMS related bug reports. Resolving the issues is
> > technically simple but depends on us deciding on the names to use for
> > the various modules.
> >
> > The names we choose for our own modules are easy. Generally we are using
> > the same or derivation from the OSGi module name.
> >
> > The names we use for the spec API modules are a little more tricky. We
> > need to (try and) remain aligned with the RI spec JARs.
> >
> > It looks like Jakarta EE 9 onwards is going to have consistent naming
> > (at least it does for the modules we use). Java EE 8 / Jakarta EE 8 is a
> > bit more inconsistent.
> >
> > I have put together a wiki page that documents the current position and
> > the naming I propose we use in Tomcat.
> >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/JPMS+names
> >
> > Comments (in this thread ideally) welcome.

+1.  Your proposal looks good.

Best,

Igal

Re: JPMS module names