Posted to users@pulsar.apache.org by Apache Pulsar Slack <ap...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/18 09:11:03 UTC

Slack digest for #general - 2020-10-18

2020-10-17 18:47:19 UTC - Cristofer Gonzales: @Cristofer Gonzales has joined the channel
----
2020-10-18 03:43:31 UTC - Derek: @Derek has joined the channel
----
2020-10-18 03:49:07 UTC - Derek: Hi everyone. I'm completely new to Pulsar, so apologies if my terminology is incorrect. I'm trying to gauge the complexity of what I need to do to determine whether or not to proceed.

I'm building a home automation platform which hooks in to Tuya Smart Life via their API to control smart devices. I also want Tuya devices to be able to trigger events on my platform. Their support team have said that Tuya can push messages through Pulsar, but I'm not really sure what is required beyond that. Would I need to set up my own instance of Pulsar to be able to start receiving these messages or is there some other way I can connect in to their instance of Pulsar?

Thanks in advance for any comments you can provide.
----
2020-10-18 04:55:23 UTC - Misha: @Misha has joined the channel
----
2020-10-18 05:11:19 UTC - Addison Higham: Hi @Derek, I am not super familiar with Tuya or their APIs, but if they want you to feed the event stream via Pulsar, then yes, you would likely need your own Pulsar instance.

For getting familiar with Pulsar, I am sure you have seen the docs, but I recently gave this presentation at a Java meetup, which might be a good resource for you <https://youtu.be/8DkZKsjjcG0?t=307>

I am not sure what exactly your needs are, but  you have a few options for deploying a cluster:

- if you want to get started with just a simple local pulsar setup, you can download the pulsar distribution and follow <https://pulsar.apache.org/docs/en/standalone/>. It should be noted that simply running that instance on a server can be a reasonable solution to get started. It isn't HA obviously, but it is durable and a fully functional pulsar cluster.
- if you are looking for something more production ready and are running kubernetes, we have an official chart and you can follow the docs here <https://pulsar.apache.org/docs/en/kubernetes-helm/>
- If you would like a hosted offering, StreamNative Cloud  (<https://console.streamnative.cloud>) offers fully managed clusters, we also just launched free clusters, so that is a great way to get started :slightly_smiling_face:

Hopefully that gives you enough to get started but feel free to reach out if you have any other questions
----