Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nicklas Norling <ni...@ifsab.se> on 2004/05/06 12:31:35 UTC

Merging read-only files

Hi.

I searched the issue tracker and also the maillist but did not find anything
relating to my problem:

I'm using update on a working copy that has a file with pending
modifications
and where the read-only attribute has been set on the file. Win32 client,
unix server.

This results in an error that the file_name.tmp can not be moved to
file_name
with the error 'access denied'. It takes quite a few seconds for it to
figure out
that the file is read-only.
Also it stops the update and leaves 'lock' files in the .svn directories.

A subsequent clean up will create a filename.2.tmp and then gives me the
same error.

Is this a bug? Is it known before?

/Nicke

Re: Merging read-only files

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Nicklas Norling wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I searched the issue tracker and also the maillist but did not find anything
> relating to my problem:
>
> I'm using update on a working copy that has a file with pending
> modifications
> and where the read-only attribute has been set on the file. Win32
> client, unix server.
>
> This results in an error that the file_name.tmp can not be moved to
> file_name
> with the error 'access denied'. It takes quite a few seconds for it to
> figure out
> that the file is read-only.
> Also it stops the update and leaves 'lock' files in the .svn directories.
>
> A subsequent clean up will create a filename.2.tmp and then gives me the
> same error.
>
> Is this a bug? Is it known before?

It's not a bug, it's more like "don't do that."  :-)

If 'svn update' needs to change a working file, but the file is set to
read-only, what do you expect?  Of course the update will be
interrupted.  The update is obstructed.   Fix the working-file's
permission, run 'svn cleanup' so the working copy can finish processing
the interrupted work, then 'svn update' again to finish the update.