Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2004/11/04 05:39:10 UTC

[mp2] make test problems when configuring against source

As several users have reported to the list, when one configures against
the httpd-2.0 source .e.g:

perl Makefile.PL MP_INST_APACHE2=1
MP_AP_PREFIX=/home/stas/apache.org/httpd-2.0

'make test' fails with:

something is wrong, mod_perl 2.0 build should have supplied all the needed
information to run the tests. Please post lib/Apache/BuildConfig.pm along
with the bug report at
/home/stas/apache.org/mp2-cvs/Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm line 349.
| Please file a bug report: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/ |

A-T rightfully fails since it doesn't know where apxs/httpd are (they were
never supplied).

Anybody remembers how were we dealing with that before? I don't think it
has ever worked, besides when an explicit value of httpd was passed to t/TEST.

Do we need to support the build against the source for any other reason
than static build?

In any case we should handle that case at A-T level and spit the right
error message, like:

------------
You have built mod_perl against httpd source, therefore it's not possible
to run the test suite. You need to install first httpd if you haven't done
so already. And run the test suite with:

   APACHE_TEST_HTTPD=/path/to/installed/bin/httpd make test

or rebuild mod_perl using the MP_APXS argument (see the installation
documentation for more details).
------------

Re: [mp2] make test problems when configuring against source

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
>> But it's only being applied to static builds, guess we could push it up
>> and apply it whenever MP_AP_PREFIX is a source dir.
>

> How can we possibly do that w/o knowing whether httpd was built at that
> location at all and whether it's the right one? I think we should
> abolish any builds with MP_AP_PREFIX, but for the static build.

Of course the build should be updated *not* to ask for the location of the
Apache source, but of httpd/apxs instead.

Re: [mp2] make test problems when configuring against source

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Glenn Strauss wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 05:07:12PM -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>>[...]
>>>

>>>I think so too. I've managed to hack it up for the static build, with this
>>>snipped of code:
>>>
>>>   my $httpd = File::Spec->catfile($build->{MP_AP_PREFIX}, 'httpd');
>>>   $build->{'httpd'} = $httpd;
>>>   push @Apache::TestMM::Argv, ('httpd' => $httpd);
>>>
>>>But it's only being applied to static builds, guess we could push it up
>>>and apply it whenever MP_AP_PREFIX is a source dir.
>>
>>How can we possibly do that w/o knowing whether httpd was built at that
>>location at all and whether it's the right one? I think we should abolish
>>any builds with MP_AP_PREFIX, but for the static build.
>>
>>Wasn't it win32 where this was required? Randy, do we need the
>>build-against-httpd-source functionality on win32?

>>>Exactly! As I was thinking about this, I also realized : Why on earth would
>>>someone want to build against apache source if it wasn't for a static
>>>build.
>>
>>For example if someone wants to build a module to be distributed elsewhere?

>>>How about at just making building against source deprecated of sorts
>>>with the
>>>only exception left being the static build ?
>>
>>Let's disable it for now (w/o cutting out the functionality) and see if
>>the patient screams or not.
>

> I'm not sure I understand what is being disabled here.

we are talking about 'make test' here. In any case nothing was disabled at
the end.

> What about system packagers?
>
> I compile Apache 1.3 with MP1 as a DSO so that I can have a single
> binary installation, but can run multiple instances of httpd with
> different *.conf files, one with MP1 enabled (backend httpd) and
> one without MP1 (frontend httpd)

And you should be able to do the same with mp2. Let us know if you have a
problem, Glenn.

Re: [mp2] make test problems when configuring against source

Posted by Glenn Strauss <gs...@gluelogic.com>.
On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 05:07:12PM -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> [...]
> >

> >I think so too. I've managed to hack it up for the static build, with this
> >snipped of code:
> >
> >    my $httpd = File::Spec->catfile($build->{MP_AP_PREFIX}, 'httpd');
> >    $build->{'httpd'} = $httpd;
> >    push @Apache::TestMM::Argv, ('httpd' => $httpd);
> >
> >But it's only being applied to static builds, guess we could push it up
> >and apply it whenever MP_AP_PREFIX is a source dir.
>
> How can we possibly do that w/o knowing whether httpd was built at that
> location at all and whether it's the right one? I think we should abolish
> any builds with MP_AP_PREFIX, but for the static build.
>
> Wasn't it win32 where this was required? Randy, do we need the
> build-against-httpd-source functionality on win32?

> >Exactly! As I was thinking about this, I also realized : Why on earth would
> >someone want to build against apache source if it wasn't for a static
> >build.
>
> For example if someone wants to build a module to be distributed elsewhere?

> >How about at just making building against source deprecated of sorts
> >with the
> >only exception left being the static build ?
>
> Let's disable it for now (w/o cutting out the functionality) and see if
> the patient screams or not.

I'm not sure I understand what is being disabled here.

What about system packagers?

I compile Apache 1.3 with MP1 as a DSO so that I can have a single
binary installation, but can run multiple instances of httpd with
different *.conf files, one with MP1 enabled (backend httpd) and
one without MP1 (frontend httpd)

Cheers,
Glenn

Re: [mp2] make test problems when configuring against source

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Randy Kobes wrote:
>
>> I think whatever is best for Unix would be fine for Win32.
>> Win32 installations are pretty standard, so specifying one
>> of MP_AP_PREFIX (the top-level installed directory) or the
>> path to the installed Apache.exe (or the path to an
>> installed apxs, if it exists) would allow us to find all the
>> path information needed to build and run the tests.
>

> Thanks Randy.
>
> I will try to keep MP_AP_PREFIX intact and see if we can get away with it.

So all I did is inserting a prompt for MP_APXS before asking for the httpd
source:
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?view=rev&rev=109383

Randy, if this new prompt is totally irrelevant to win32, please add the
appropriate logic to the conditional so this step won't be run.

Re: [mp2] make test problems when configuring against source

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> > Stas Bekman wrote:

> >> We are discussing to drop only for DSO. The static build will still
> >> use MP_AP_PREFIX.
> >>
> >> btw, what win32 sources are you talking about? httpd source?

Yes, I had in mind building against the httpd-2.0 sources.
At present this wasn't designed to work on Win32 -
MP_AP_PREFIX is assumed to be the top-level Apache2
installation directory. And as I mentioned earlier, I
think there's little motivation (in the Win32 world) to
change things so that it would build against the httpd-2.0
sources.

If MP_AP_PREFIX is enabled only for static builds, then
we'd have to find some variant to use for Win32. Or,
perhaps, if there's not too much branching, keep the
present meaning of MP_AP_PREFIX for Win32?

--
best regards,
randy

Re: [mp2] make test problems when configuring against source

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
[...]

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> please followup on this issue asap, as this is critical for mp2.0 release.

Every time I take a vacation, things seem to just pile up ;-)

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>As several users have reported to the list, when one configures against
>>the httpd-2.0 source .e.g:
>>
>>perl Makefile.PL MP_INST_APACHE2=1
>>MP_AP_PREFIX=/home/stas/apache.org/httpd-2.0
>>
>>'make test' fails with:
>>
>>something is wrong, mod_perl 2.0 build should have supplied all the
>>needed information to run the tests. Please post
>>lib/Apache/BuildConfig.pm along with the bug report at
>>/home/stas/apache.org/mp2-cvs/Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm line
>>349.
>>| Please file a bug report: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/ |
>>
>>A-T rightfully fails since it doesn't know where apxs/httpd are (they
>>were never supplied).

This is a problem incredibly similar to what happens during the static
build process.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.