Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/20 11:18:39 UTC

Stale ref guide / How to publish latest version?

Hi Cassandra / others,

Can you please guide me as to how I can publish a fresh version of the
reference guide?

I see that there are some changes to Reference Guide that aren't showing up
in the online version:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/configsets-api.html

I don't see the section about [0] that I added to:
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/branch_6_6/solr/solr-ref-guide/src/configsets-api.adoc

Thanks,
Ishan

[0] -

The same can be achieved using a unix pipe, without creating an
intermediate zip file, as follows:

Re: Stale ref guide / How to publish latest version?

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ct...@apache.org>.
Since the 7.0 Guide was released the instructions on how to edit and
publish the Guide are published online. There are instructions on how to
re-publish a new version of HTML files:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/how-to-contribute.html#update-a-published-guide.
That whole page is built from the files in
solr/solr-ref-guide/src/meta-docs if you'd rather look at the files locally.

Since we don't have a Jenkins build for 6.6 running any longer, you will
need to have all the dependencies for building the Guide locally, and do
the build locally for upload to the website. These dependencies are
detailed in the solr/solr-ref-guide/README.txt file.

We haven't yet re-published any version of the guide, so we don't have any
established process for it. I think there's some grey area around whether
you should also re-release the PDF, should the version number on the pages
be different (which is a build parameter), etc.

I have to ask if it's really worth all that though - there are lots of
things in the 7.0 or 7.1 guides that *could* apply to 6.6, but they missed
the cutoff so weren't published then. It's up to you if you want to go
through what we have already figured out and figure out the rest of the
open questions. Please be sure to document things as you go if you decide
to do it.

Cassandra