Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tosh Cooey <to...@1200group.com> on 2009/11/23 16:13:16 UTC

Dynamically setting PerlVars in Apache per-request

WAS: A better way to handle multiple client authentication?

Yeah I use something similar in another application, but in this
application I actually need to change the Auth_DBI_data_source variable
since the "FROM pwd_table" would actually need to be "FROM
clientA.pwd_table" and I can't see how to set this on the fly.  I could
probably also set the: Auth_DBI_pwd_table variable as well, but again
the per-request setting is what's throwing me off.

PerlSetVar Auth_DBI_data_source   DBI:mysql:clientA
or
PerlSetVar Auth_DBI_pwd_table     clientA.pwd_table

Which is why I thought:

RewriteRule ^/(.+)/$ PerlSetVar Auth_DBI_data_source DBI:mysql:$1

I was hoping a SetEnvIf or IfDefine would work but after reading more
about Apache configuration I see it won't.

Anyway, this is straying too far into Apache territory so I guess I will
just set those variables within a modified Apache::AuthDBI

I guess if anyone already knows an auth module that does that above that
would be awesome, or if anyone knows how to easily change PerlVars on
the fly within the Apache config/htaccess space that's be great,
otherwise it's a small change to the above module.

Thanks again!

Tosh

--
McIntosh Cooey - Twelve Hundred Group LLC - http://www.1200group.com/

Re: Dynamically setting PerlVars in Apache per-request

Posted by Adam Prime <ad...@utoronto.ca>.
My suggestion would be to subclass AuthDBI to make the constructor
fiddle with the dir_config entries that AuthDBI uses.

See the docs for dir_config (the perl interface to PerlSetVar variables:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache2/ServerUtil.html#C_dir_config_

I have no idea how subclass friendly AuthDBI is or isn't.

Adam