Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Chamini Prashakthi Jayasinghe <we...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/26 07:54:18 UTC

Contributing to Apache Taverna

Hi all,
I am Chamini Prashakthi undergraduate from University of Perandeniya. I
would like to contribute this project.I already build the
apache-taverna-workbench module.but it gives error as
...\incubator-taverna-workbench\taverna-file-impl\src\main\java\org\apache\taverna\workbench\file\impl\menu\FileOpenRecentMenuAction.java:[157,17]
error: no suitable constructor found for File(Path,String)
Can you guide me to solve this issue.
regards
Chamini prashakthi

Re: Contributing to Apache Taverna

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Fixing compilation errors would also be a welcome contribution :)

Unfortunately for the taverna-workbench there is a bit of work still
to do here, so it can be hard to know where to start.

Importing all of it into Eclipse and looking for the red flags
highlights most of the areas needing attention - A Maven build will
just fail on the first error.

Here's one example:

org.apache.taverna.workbench.file.impl.menu.FileOpenRecentMenuAction
aka
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-workbench/blob/master/taverna-file-impl/src/main/java/org/apache/taverna/workbench/file/impl/menu/FileOpenRecentMenuAction.java#L157
fails because in

File confDir = new File(applicationConfiguration.getApplicationHomeDir(), CONF);

the function getApplicationHomeDir() from taverna-osgi now return a
java.nio.file.Path, but the code thinks it is java.util.File.

In this case we can fix it to:

File confDir = new
File(applicationConfiguration.getApplicationHomeDir().toFile(), CONF);

or better, rewrite the whole function to use java.nio.file.Path, which
makes it cleaner, but can cause more cascade errors elsewhere in the
class.

Or here's another:

org.apache.taverna.raven.plugins.ui.CheckForUpdatesStartupHook
in
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-workbench/blob/master/taverna-plugins-gui/src/main/java/org/apache/taverna/raven/plugins/ui/CheckForUpdatesStartupHook.java

is unhappy because it can't import

import uk.org.taverna.commons.plugin.PluginManager;
import uk.org.taverna.configuration.app.ApplicationConfiguration;

these are now in org.apache.taverna, so just a "Organize Import"
action in Eclipse fixes this.

What we need is a strategy to gradually get through these - sadly I've
not personally ventured much into this as we've focused on getting the
Command Line release out, in addition to the GSOC activities. So any
contributions welcome, from committers and others!

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: Contributing to Apache Taverna