Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stéphane KLEIN <st...@harobed.org> on 2009/09/08 11:13:16 UTC

[users@httpd] [mod_dav] Apple Finder webdav client launch many GET requests when I explore a folder

Hi,

I've posted this message on Apple forum
(http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2148019&tstart=0) :

"""
Hi,

I write a WebDAV server in Python.
I found one issue with Apple Finder WebDAV client and I've noticed same
issue with Apache mod_dav server.

Issue : when Finder explore a folder, Finder download the totaly of all
files !
I don't know who does all this GET requests ? Spotlight ?

This is very boring because if I've some big file in a folder, all this
data are transfered on my bandwidth.

Have you see the same issue ? Who does this request ? How can I disable
this transfert ?

Thanks for your help,
Stephane
"""

I don't have other information about this issue and I don't know how to
fix it.

Do other people can test this issue ?

Thanks for your help,
Stephane

[users@httpd] Re: [mod_dav] Apple Finder webdav client launch many GET requests when I explore a folder

Posted by Stéphane KLEIN <st...@harobed.org>.
Le 08/09/09 11:57, André Warnier a écrit :
> Stéphane KLEIN wrote:
>>
>> I write a WebDAV server in Python.
>> I found one issue with Apple Finder WebDAV client and I've noticed same
>> issue with Apache mod_dav server.
>>
>  > Issue : when Finder explore a folder, Finder download the totaly of all
>  > files !
>
> Your subject line is probably spot on the problem : if the Apple Finder
> WebDav client does that, then it is the Apple Finder WebDav client which
> has a serious problem, and it is not a problem of the server.

Yes, I know, but I hope found some information about this issue here.
There are without doubt on this list, some Apple Finder Webdav client user.

I've posted here, because this issue impact Apache web_dav module also.

>> Do other people can test this issue ?
>>
> Probably not, unless they use the same Apple client.
> You should try another Dav client, and see if it does the same.

I haven't this issue with other Dav client but I need to support Apple
Finder client also.

Thanks for your help,
Stephane

Re: [users@httpd] [mod_dav] Apple Finder webdav client launch many GET requests when I explore a folder

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM, André Warnier<aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> In any case, I use the Apache mod_dav module a lot, and I have never seen
> this issue, even with buggy Microsoft Dav clients.

I've seen this behaviour with eclipse and SVN (which uses WebDAV too).
Just a simple browse of the source tree in ecplipse results in
hundreds of requests. This is actually not a bug, but just a
consequence of the protocol. Every file property a client wants to
know results in a GET...
Basically, if you build an apache webdav server you should expect lots
of requests.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

Re: [users@httpd] [mod_dav] Apple Finder webdav client launch many GET requests when I explore a folder

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Stéphane KLEIN wrote:

> I write a WebDAV server in Python.
> I found one issue with Apple Finder WebDAV client and I've noticed same
> issue with Apache mod_dav server.
>
 > Issue : when Finder explore a folder, Finder download the totaly of all
 > files !

Your subject line is probably spot on the problem : if the Apple Finder
WebDav client does that, then it is the Apple Finder WebDav client which
has a serious problem, and it is not a problem of the server.

In any case, I use the Apache mod_dav module a lot, and I have never
seen this issue, even with buggy Microsoft Dav clients.

> I don't know who does all this GET requests ? Spotlight ?

Well, obviously the Apple Finder WebDav client, I guess.

> Who does this request ?

See above.

> How can I disable this transfert ?

Well, if the GET requests are really sent by the client, then probably
you cannot, because otherwise you would also disable real GET requests
from good clients, and that would make your Dav server pretty useless.

> Do other people can test this issue ?

Probably not, unless they use the same Apple client.
You should try another Dav client, and see if it does the same.
If it does not, then throw away Apple Finder and use the better client.

What I am saying is : a GET request is the normal way for a Dav client
to download a file, normally only when requested to do so.
If your WebDav client sends GET requests (instead of HEAD) just to get
information about the files, either it is a buggy Dav client, or you
have not set it up correctly.
Maybe there is some setting at the client side which tells it to always
automatically do some sort of "synchronise" with the server ?  If so,
you should disable that, and your problem will probably disappear.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: [mod_dav] Apple Finder webdav client launch many GET requests when I explore a folder

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Klein Stéphane wrote:

> Same issue explained here :
>
> http://code.google.com/p/sabredav/wiki/Finder

Yes, Stephane, but what are you trying to tell us, or ask us ?
Obviously, that Finder program has a bug, and makes a bunch of
unnecessary requests, ending with the download of all the files in the
folder.
You should complain to whoever wrote that program.  Apache cannot do
anything about it, and probably neither can the Dav server you are
trying to write.
The problem is that, although this client makes those unnecessary
requests, all these requests, individually, are valid, in terms of the
DAV protocol.  So a DAV server has to respond to them, which is what
happens with the Apache mod_dav.
The only way to avoid this, would be to refuse that particular client.
I am sure you could do that, using mod_rewrite e.g., but then you would
not be supporting Finder, which seems to be your project.

[users@httpd] Re: [mod_dav] Apple Finder webdav client launch many GET requests when I explore a folder

Posted by Klein Stéphane <st...@harobed.org>.
Stéphane KLEIN a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've posted this message on Apple forum
> (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2148019&tstart=0) :
>
> """
> Hi,
>
> I write a WebDAV server in Python.
> I found one issue with Apple Finder WebDAV client and I've noticed same
> issue with Apache mod_dav server.
>
> Issue : when Finder explore a folder, Finder download the totaly of all
> files !
> I don't know who does all this GET requests ? Spotlight ?
>
> This is very boring because if I've some big file in a folder, all this
> data are transfered on my bandwidth.
>
> Have you see the same issue ? Who does this request ? How can I disable
> this transfert ?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Stephane
> """
>
> I don't have other information about this issue and I don't know how to
> fix it.
>
> Do other people can test this issue ?

Same issue explained here :

http://code.google.com/p/sabredav/wiki/Finder