Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org> on 2010/11/01 20:03:43 UTC

[libcloud] Graduation Vote?

So, We have stable releases, added some committers, but I don't see
'us' learning much more by staying in the incubator.

Anything we need to do before trying to graduate?

If nothing, lets kick off a graduation vote this week.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: [libcloud] Graduation Vote?

Posted by Roman Bogorodskiy <bo...@gmail.com>.
  Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Roman,
>
> There's an effort for a java based lib cloud in the sandbox:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/libcloud/sandbox/

Ah, sorry, then I got it totally wrong.

Roman Bogorodskiy

Re: [libcloud] Graduation Vote?

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Roman,

There's an effort for a java based lib cloud in the sandbox:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/libcloud/sandbox/

-- dims

Posted by Roman Bogorodskiy <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Woods <wo...@gmail.com>.
I agree, lets kick off a graduation vote.  Support for additional languages (i.e. Java) can remain in the sandbox while the community grows and additional support (e.g. test cases) are built.

Thanks,
Eric

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Right, it will move with the rest of the project and a java release
will come when its ready.

I think we are all agreed. Let's start the vote.

We will need to pass our own vote first, then give the rest of the
Incubator PMC a chance to vote also.

Gav...

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.

Posted by Eric Woods <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Schwartz, Philip Marc (LNG-BCT)" <Ph...@lexisnexis.com>.
I agree it should be graduated from incubator status. I do have a few more commits that will help the project along, but they can wait till after the graduation. I think with it our of incubator status and more companies behind it at a production level (like my company ;) ), we will be able to push the project along nicely.

Thank You,
Philip Schwartz
Software Engineering
LexisNexis RIAG
O - 561 999 4472
C - 954 290 4024

> It would be good to see more of a course set on what to do with the
> Java support. There hasn't been consensus on what to do with it so
> showing the project can handle that would be good before graduation.

It hasn't attracted a diverse committer base.

It hasn't been reviewed on a technical level.

It hasn't been released (or had vetting with RAT).

It is in a sandbox area. That is it's state.

The Python side of libcloud is gaining absolutely zero by remaining in the Incubator.

The Java side is just a young project which may die, or may grow, and I certainly hope for the former, but I am not sure how that is related to the community we have today remaining in the Incubator.

Many TLPs grow communities in different products as they mature, and as long as we are comfortable with the makeup of the PMC, and trust them to know what to do, I don't believe the current situation with Java support is a problem for graduation.

The Incubator is about education of people and IP clearance -- trust the people to do the right things, and the IP situation has long been clear for Libcloud.

Thanks,

Paul

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.  Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Re: [libcloud] Graduation Vote?

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

Posted by Jed Smith <je...@jedsmith.org>.
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org> wrote:
> So, We have stable releases, added some committers, but I don't see
> 'us' learning much more by staying in the incubator.
>
> Anything we need to do before trying to graduate?
>
> If nothing, lets kick off a graduation vote this week.

Thirded.

--
Jed Smith
jed@jedsmith.org