Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/06/17 14:33:24 UTC

hadoop-build-tools/src/main/resources/META-INF/

I see (presumably from the licensing work), that I'm now getting  hadoop-build-tools/src/main/resources/META-INF/ as an untracked directory.

If this is generated, should it be in the source tree? And if so, should it be committed, or listed in .gitignore?

Re: hadoop-build-tools/src/main/resources/META-INF/

Posted by Xiao Chen <xi...@cloudera.com>.
FYI - created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13298.

-Xiao

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
file a jira please and I'll take a look.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Xiao Chen <xi...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Thanks Steve for reporting the issue and Sean for the suggestion. This is
> indeed from HADOOP-12893 (blush).
>
> I'm no maven expert so appreciate any recommendations.
>
> The reason for the current way is that for the L&N to be patched into a jar,
> it seems that maven remote resource plugin (which named itself to be the
> typical Apache licensing way) requires the files to be under
> src/main/resources. This was mentioned in their example, and I wasn't able
> to trick it to pack things not in there. I wish there were more examples to
> help in our case.
>
> So, in HADOOP-12893 I put a step to copy the L&N into
> hadoop-build-tools/src/main/resources dir, to allow it get packed into the
> jar. I thought about symlink but don't think it's a good way for Windows
> builds.
>
> It's not committed because we don't want an extra copy of L&N, we could list
> it in .gitignore.
>

> P.S. Tried a bit with Sean's suggestion of making it under
> target/generated-sources, but couldn't get the plugin to include it. I'm
> happy to try out more elegant solutions if you have any suggestions.
>
> Thanks!
>

> -Xiao
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 7:34 AM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>> If it's generated and we're following The Maven Way, it should be in
>> target. probably in target/generated-sources
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I see (presumably from the licensing work), that I'm now getting
>> > hadoop-build-tools/src/main/resources/META-INF/ as an untracked directory.
>> >
>> > If this is generated, should it be in the source tree? And if so, should
>> > it be committed, or listed in .gitignore?

>> --
>> busbey

busbey

Re: hadoop-build-tools/src/main/resources/META-INF/

Posted by Xiao Chen <xi...@cloudera.com>.
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12893> (blush).

<http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-remote-resources-plugin/> (which
<http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-remote-resources-plugin/examples/sharing-resources.html>,