Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Andrew Maguire <an...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/11 11:33:15 UTC

Airflow & AWS Lambda Tutorials?

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any tutorials or examples of triggering an aws lambda
function from airflow?

I googled a bit bit could not find much. I do see the aws_lambda_hook in
there but just a little unsure how to use it.

Cheers,
Andy

Re: Airflow & AWS Lambda Tutorials?

Posted by Taylor Edmiston <te...@gmail.com>.
Hey Andrew -

My suggestions are similar to Marcel's.

I favor invoking the Lambda function with the invoke
<https://boto3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reference/services/lambda.html#Lambda.Client.invoke>
call in boto3 in a PythonOperator, or using the AwsHook if that abstraction
adds value here vs calling boto directly.

I second that using the SimpleHttpOperator in Airflow to hit the Lambda
function like a REST API is a reasonable alternative.

Personally, I would also recommend using a serverless framework such as
Zappa or Serverless as in my experience, there's a surprising amount of
boilerplate involved in writing, deploying, updating, and maintaining
serverless functions (+ API Gateway etc).

If you're considering Lambda alternatives, I think the Zeit Now Serverless
Docker Beta <https://zeit.co/blog/serverless-docker> is a pretty cool and
very easy way to run serverless functions.  There's a Hello World Flask
example <https://github.com/zeit/now-examples/tree/master/python-flask>
that shows how it all works in just a few lines.

*Taylor Edmiston*
Blog <https://blog.tedmiston.com/> | CV
<https://stackoverflow.com/cv/taylor> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/tedmiston/> | AngelList