Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com> on 2011/02/11 04:44:11 UTC

[VOTE] Abandon thriftfs HDFS contrib

I think the PMC should abandon the thriftfs HDFS contrib component.  It's last meaningful contribution was it's original commit in August 2008:

HADOOP-3754. Add a thrift interface to access HDFS. (dhruba via omalley)

There are 5 unresolved contrib/thriftfs issues in Jira, 1 of them Patch Available since November 2009 (HDFS-789).

Here is my +1.

Nige

Re: [VOTE] Abandon thriftfs HDFS contrib

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@gmail.com>.
+0.

we are using this in production, but sadly I never had any time to keep it
updated. I have a plan of integrating the generated Thrift server-stubs with
the namenode itself, so that the NameNode can expose Hadoop RPC as well as
Thrift RPC. But this is something for the future, so I am fine either way if
we decide to remove it or to keep it as it is.

thanks,
dhruba

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
+1