Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2018/03/16 21:09:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] Remove tracer service (not instrumentation)

Devs,

(This discussion is somewhat of a spinoff of our previous recent
conversation about HTrace, but I'd like to narrow the discussion to one
specific topic regarding our tracer service.)

I'd like to remove Accumulo's tracer service and corresponding
presentations in the monitor for 2.0.

The tracer service currently acts as a sink for the traces from Accumulo.

While there is interest in tracing Accumulo, and Accumulo may itself be
suitable (with the right schema) for storing traces, I do not think acting
as a "trace sink" is really the kind of thing we should be doing as part of
Accumulo's out-of-the-box core functionality.

Also, the presentation and search capabilities of the traces found in the
trace table (by convention, and assumed by the monitor) is far from an
ideal presentation of this data, and I don't think the Accumulo project
should continue maintaining that inside the core project's monitor, either.

I think we should encourage interested volunteers to contribute to other
trace presentation software (wherever they may exist) any necessary
"backing store" implementation based on Accumulo.

None of this would remove tracing instrumentation from Accumulo... it would
just require users interested in trace data from Accumulo to configure an
appropriate sink to collect that data in some other integrated component of
their overall architecture.

Decoupling the integrated trace sink from the instrumentation in Accumulo
like this could even be a step towards providing support for multiple
different tracing libraries. (I guess we could do this now, but it would be
easier if we were not also trying to provide a sink implementation for one
specific version of one specific instrumentation library.)

Thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove tracer service (not instrumentation)

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
I am +0 for this proposal and agree that putting it in a separate repo
would be preferable to dropping it. I tend to think that a better eventual
home for the Accumulo span receiver would be in HTrace itself -- that would
solve a lot of our version compatibility issues. That said, I wanted to
mention a few things we should keep in mind during this process.
- The Accumulo span receiver and the tracing display in the monitor have
been tweaked to handle the volume of traces produced by HDFS. Specifically,
the span receiver is configured by default to drop spans of length 0ms, and
the monitor page is able to display children of those spans in a useful
way. I don't know how other tracing backends and UIs would deal with this.
- For systems that produce a large amount / high rate of tracing data,
Accumulo may be the only viable storage for traces.
- One advantage of Accumulo's tracing system is that it is on by default.

Posted by Tony Kurc <tr...@gmail.com>.
Christopher hit the nail on the head.

Based on my comments, what I didn't say explicitly what was more valuable -
the instrumentation or the tracing service. My opinion is that there are
other tracing backends (
http://opentracing.io/documentation/pages/supported-tracers.html) and if it
was possible to send to any or all of these would serve my needs. This
implied to me that the instrumentation was more valuable.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Nothing is "ready to go". We've barely started the discussion.
Is there a story you'd like to see?

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tony Kurc <tr...@gmail.com>.
I like this idea.