Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2004/11/09 07:16:17 UTC

[OT] This is quite disappointing...

I received a promotional email from Javalobby.org
for a certain commercial product... their opening pitch:

"70% of Java Developers use Struts"

Now I wonder what % use Cocoon and whether those
who use Struts have chosen it because its the better
web application development environment... or just
because Cocoon is more obscure?

Not wanting to start any flame war comparisions here...
just curious what my fellow Cocoon developers think?
And I can't help wonder what it will take for Cocoon to
achieve the recognition it deserves??

believed to be clean.

Re: [OT] This is quite disappointing...

Posted by Litrik De Roy <co...@litrik.com>.
Leszek Gawron wrote:

> Derek Hohls wrote:
>
>> I received a promotional email from Javalobby.org
>> for a certain commercial product... their opening pitch:
>>
>> "70% of Java Developers use Struts"
>
> sure ... 49.6% of statistics is useless :)

And 82% is made up on the spot. (6% more than last year, BTW)

--

Litrik De Roy
www.litrik.com

Re: [OT] This is quite disappointing...

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Derek Hohls wrote:
> I received a promotional email from Javalobby.org
> for a certain commercial product... their opening pitch:
>
> "70% of Java Developers use Struts"
sure ... 49.6% of statistics is useless :)

> Now I wonder what % use Cocoon and whether those
> who use Struts have chosen it because its the better
> web application development environment... or just
> because Cocoon is more obscure?
Cocoon was a publishing framework in the first place. It started to become a
very good web application framework along with flowscript and woody
introduction. But this whas not that long ago. It is no surprise then that
Struts has more users.

> Not wanting to start any flame war comparisions here...
> just curious what my fellow Cocoon developers think?
> And I can't help wonder what it will take for Cocoon to
> achieve the recognition it deserves??
We already have a very big community. Every java developer I know gets also
some kind of sucked into it after I show them what cocoon can do. What we need
for sure is professional detailed documentation. What more? CForms becoming
stable. Some steps into stabilizing JavaFlow would also be a blast. Some users
are considering javascript a not-so-serious-language.

Re: [OT] This is quite disappointing...

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Derek Hohls wrote:

> I received a promotional email from Javalobby.org
> for a certain commercial product... their opening pitch:
>
> "70% of Java Developers use Struts"
>
> Now I wonder what % use Cocoon and whether those
> who use Struts have chosen it because its the better
> web application development environment... or just
> because Cocoon is more obscure?

Because Struts is "the easy choice," at least according to one blog I
read.  And now I'm kicking myself because I can't find the @#^@#@
article to reference.

Then again, I've never ever used Struts, and I've only glanced at Struts
books and some reading material, so I have no experience to work from.
But I would like to say (and this is a completely uneducated guess...)
that most places choose to use Struts because it's what everyone else is
using and it seems to be "standard."

An interesting thing to note is that Struts 2.0 is going to be based on
JSF, which is not really all that considering that Craig McClanahan is
at the helm of both projects.

> Not wanting to start any flame war comparisions here...
> just curious what my fellow Cocoon developers think?
> And I can't help wonder what it will take for Cocoon to
> achieve the recognition it deserves??

Frankly, I don't really think about it all that much.  I started working
with Cocoon because we were going to be using it at one of my old jobs,
and now I've left that job and moved on.  I guess I would only really
pick up Struts if my job required it, mostly because of all the time
I've invested in learning Cocoon and all the related technologies.

I guess the problem is that not only are there more jobs that list
Struts as a requirement, but there's also a larger pool of developers
who know Struts, so it all sort of feeds off itself.  Unfortunately,
I've never used Struts, so if I go to a job where they want Struts
experience, and I show up trying to get people using Cocoon instead, I'm
at a disadvantage since I haven't actually done anything with Struts.

Although since I'm a committer I am a little biased towards Cocoon :)

Tony