Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Martin Hepworth <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/15 16:22:07 UTC

spam and carbon emissions

Interesting article
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16951-spam-tramples-environment-with-huge-carbon-footprint.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news
I wonder how they figure out the transmission costs are are doing something
clever with the amount of power used by the routers vs %age of all interweb
traffic that is spam??

--
Martin Hepworth
Oxford, UK

Re: spam and carbon emissions

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
I think this was Richi Jennings (http://richi.co.uk/) and McAfee.
maybe some MFE staff on the list might comment? ;)

--j.

Posted by Jesse Stroik <js...@ssec.wisc.edu>.
  > "Interestingly, the majority of energy usage (around 80%) comes from
> users viewing and deleting spam, and searching for legitimate emails
> within spam filters."

Right -- if your users can't trust their 'spam' folder as spam, then
what is the point?  They should keep it around so they can check it in
case they seem to be missing a message, but generally speaking, you
should get few enough false positives so that the risk of false positive
for each user is nearly zero.  Then the spam folder is actually useful.

This does mean, however, that you can't assign very high value to some
of the rules that can often yield false positives such as the BOTNET
rule which assumes everyone has proper rDNS, etc.

Best,
Jesse

Re: spam and carbon emissions

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:22 PM +0100 Martin Hepworth
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting article
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16951-spam-tramples-environment-wit
> h-huge-carbon-footprint.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news I wonder how
> they figure out the transmission costs are are doing something clever
> with the amount of power used by the routers vs %age of all interweb
> traffic that is spam??

The Ecological Impact of Spam
<http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/15/1447251>