Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by jeff bowden <jl...@halcyon.com> on 1999/02/26 09:26:52 UTC

mod_jserv/3972: Some steps left out of the jserv installation docs

>Number:         3972
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       Some steps left out of the jserv installation docs
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I'm new to mod_jserv and have just now managed to make it run.  There were a few
steps left out of the documentation and I thought you might like to know about
it.

The DSO configuration instructions are broken.  I'm not sure how exactly but I
tried following them and `make' never compiles anything in the src/c directory.
By reverting to the static linking instructions I got mod_jserv to build.

Must add
   AddModule mod_jserv.c
to httpd.conf.  This wasn't too hard to figure out but it might as well be in
the step-by-step instructions for the absent-minded.

Must add
   ApJServSecretKey DISABLED
to httpd.conf.  This was also not too hard since it apachectl tells you to do it.
Still, it ought to be mentioned.

Must copy jserv.properties from the `examples' directory to the apache `conf'
directory and then add the following to httpd.conf
   ApJServProperties /usr/local/apache/conf/jserv.properties
Also, it is necessary to edit ApJServProperties jserv.properties, changing the
line
  wrapper.classpath=
  wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/jdk117_v1a/lib/classes.zip

This was probably the least obvious thing.

Finally, in order to load the status page I had to add this to httpd.conf

<Location /status/jserv/>
  SetHandler jserv-status
  order deny,allow
  deny from all
  allow from 127.0.0.1
</Location>

All this stuff is documented in various places but it seems like it ought to be
the unix install howto (http://java.apache.org/jserv/install/howto.unix_install.html)

-jeff