Posted to user@ode.apache.org by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/10 00:50:37 UTC

Re: How does ODE's BPEL Engine recover in the event of system failure?

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:17 AM, kodeninja <ko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to find out about the recovery capabilities built into ODE. What
> kind
> of recovery does ODE provide in case if ODE itself crashes, or if a
> particular BPEL process instance within ODE crashes? Does it restart the
> failed process automatically? And does it do so from the beginning or from
> the point that the instance crashed?

If you stick with one-ways, yes. For two-way messages, the client connection
is usually lost so it's a bit more messy.

> Also, in case the process engine itself crashes and is restarted, does it
> restart all the failed process instances automatically? Or is there a way
> do so manually?

All transactions are going to be discarded and the process will be back in
the state it was before. Instances aren't failed in most cases, though.
There's also the special case of a crash just during a two-way invoke, for
which we'll force the invoke to enter activity recovery, which you can then
retry manually.

Matthieu

Posted by Lars Ericsson <la...@yahoo.com>.

>is it possible for the BPEL process to just proceed from the point
>where it was, when the engine crashed, and complete the request?

No it is not possible.

________________________________
Posted by kodeninja <ko...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply, Matthieu.

I have a BPEL that performs a CRUD operation on an entity and responds back
to the calling client with a success/failure message accordingly. The client
starts the BPEL by sending a CRUD request. It provides a callback handler to
the BPEL to intimate it back when it's done. Now, if the BPEL engine crashes
in the middle of the process, what I see is that the client is never updated
with the actual status of the request (CRUD failed), whenever the engine is
re-started. So, in this case, where there's a callback to the client
involved, is it possible for the BPEL process to just proceed from the point
where it was, when the engine crashed, and complete the request?

Thanks,
-Kodeninja