Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com> on 2021/08/11 22:24:25 UTC

[Rust] Integration tests for recursive nested data?

One of my PRs is showing integration test failures with Rust [1] for the
recursive nested test.

With an error:

Validating
/tmp/tmpg3zo83yh/de3ef975_generated_recursive_nested.json_as_file and
/tmp/arrow-integration-0bm7hcmd/generated_recursive_nested.json
Schemas match. JSON file has 2 batches.
thread 'main' panicked at 'called `Option::unwrap()` on a `None` value',
arrow/src/array/equal/list.rs:143:18
note: run with `RUST_BACKTRACE=1` environment variable to display a
backtrace

I don't think I did anything that would have touched this code for Rust,
and it seems like Rust is failing to consume for all producing languages:

FAILED TEST: recursive_nested C++ producing,  Rust consuming
FAILED TEST: recursive_nested Java producing,  Rust consuming
FAILED TEST: recursive_nested JS producing,  Rust consuming
FAILED TEST: recursive_nested Rust producing,  Rust consuming

Is this a known issue?  Anything I can try doing to fix this?

Thanks,
Micah

[1]
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/10177/checks?check_run_id=3305682790

Re: [Rust] Integration tests for recursive nested data?

Posted by Jorge Cardoso Leitão <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The checkout of arrow-rs on the failed build is over fa5acd971c97, which up
to 3hrs or so was master, so, I think it is picking the right code.

Did a quick investigation:

* The integration tests on arrow-rs have not been running since June the
30th. they stopped running after the merge of [1], which broke the workflow
[2].
* the integration tests have been running on apache/arrow - latest run was
2hrs against 1a5c26bc2af73 [3], which, as of writing, is master.
* the integration tests on apache/arrow have an annotation of an error [3]
(step Docker Push, failed authentication)

* Filed https://github.com/apache/arrow-rs/issues/690 for the broken CI on
arrow-rs
* Filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-13621 for annotation
error on apache/arrow

Coming to the actual error: given [3], that the interval branch did not
change anything related to nested, and that all other consumers are ok, I
can only conclude that this is a non-deterministic behavior on the arrow-rs
side.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/arrow-rs/commit/31bc052126abc4834edf9b3cd7cb72384f84ba3e
[2] https://github.com/apache/arrow-rs/actions/runs/993286543