Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/14 20:16:51 UTC

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) as of May 14, 2019

Hi all - Please note recent changes and updates to the project FAQ.
If you see any issues with this, please let me know, make a comment on that
page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ

I'm including it here in the hopes it gets a few more reads.

Thanks
@jdailey67

Fineract FAQ <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ>

   - What is this project about?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-Whatisthisprojectabout?>
   - Is this Mifos?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-IsthisMifos?>
   - What is the difference between Fineract and Fineract-CN?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-WhatisthedifferencebetweenFineractandFineract-CN?>
   - Do I have to get the code to use the solution?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-DoIhavetogetthecodetousethesolution?>
   - What is the process for getting the code and setting up a development
   environment?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-Whatistheprocessforgettingthecodeandsettingupadevelopmentenvironment?>
   - How do I get up to speed on development tasks?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-HowdoIgetuptospeedondevelopmenttasks?>
   - What is our Consensus approach?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-WhatisourConsensusapproach?>
   - I'm new to Open Source, what is this all about?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-I'mnewtoOpenSource,whatisthisallabout?>
   - Where do I find ....
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-WheredoIfind....>
   - Where do I get the Pentaho Reports?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-WheredoIgetthePentahoReports?>
   - How do I set this up on my machine?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-HowdoIsetthisuponmymachine?>
   - How do I get something changed in the code?  How do I get a feature
   added?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-HowdoIgetsomethingchangedinthecode?HowdoIgetafeatureadded?>
   - I have a great idea for a collaboration tool for the community, how do
   I make that happen?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-Ihaveagreatideaforacollaborationtoolforthecommunity,howdoImakethathappen?>
   - I represent a Company and want to contribute, how do I do that?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-IrepresentaCompanyandwanttocontribute,howdoIdothat?>
   - I found a security flaw, where do I report that?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-Ifoundasecurityflaw,wheredoIreportthat?>
   - How do I raise a difficult or sensitive topic?
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FAQ#FAQ-HowdoIraiseadifficultorsensitivetopic?>

What is this project about?

Fineract provides a reliable, robust, and affordable solution for
entrepreneurs, financial institutions, and service providers to offer
financial services to the world’s 2 billion underbanked and unbanked.
Fineract is aimed at innovative mobile and cloud-based solutions, and
enables digital transaction accounts for all.

The domain of fineract includes accounts, held by customers, with
transactions made to those accounts. The types of accounts include credit
accounts (e.g. loans to customers) and debit accounts (current accounts and
savings accounts), and for credit accounts there are different kinds of
interest rate schemes or shared profit schemes.  There is other
functionality that supports use cases for teller operations, basic treasury
management, accounting, portfolio management, authentication, account
opening (including KYC), and similar topics that are common to a retail
banking operation.

Initially aimed at Microfinance Institutions (MFIs), Savings Cooperatives,
and Credit Unions, the fineract solution is not limited to those specific
institutions.  A number of finTech innovators have used fineract as their
backend solution for offering "Direct Banking" or "Neo-Banking" solutions
as well as for "Agent Management" in some contexts. The backend account
transaction system is a common requirement in many systems in financial
services.

Fineract was donated by Mifos.org, a US based charity with a financial
inclusion mission. While many members of the PMC trace their involvement to
the project to financial inclusion, the intent of the project is to attract
a range of innovators involved in offering account services to consumers
everywhere. Financial services should be available to all.

Open source allows for the project to build the needed building blocks that
all kinds of financial institutions can use but we anticipate an ecosystem
of providers taking this code and building solutions on top of it.  We
encourage that and fully expect those builders to send their development
priorities and in-house dev teams to the project.  We require that virtuous
cycle.

We imagine a world where financial services are offered by a wide range of
providers using *commodity* open source software utilizing the most modern
approaches.

Who is using fineract?

(For clarity, those using the mifos.org released solutions, prior to
incubation at apache foundation, are not counted in this project.) Fineract
is used by many small to medium sized financial institutions in dozens of
countries.  Larger institutions are considering the use of fineract
side-by-side with their existing core banking solution (CBS). The
side-by-side strategy allows for innovative offerings to be done without
the licensing costs usually associated with commercial CBS. Fineract has
also been adopted by finTechs to be the backend transaction account engine,
and is being used in testing-lab environments to assist with system
integrations.

With proper hosting and front end dev, Fineract is suitable to Credit
Unions, Microfinance Institutions, Agent Banking solutions, Savings
Associations, Building Societies, Cooperatives, small Commercial Banks,
NeoBanks, and Direct Banking solutions.  Our vision is that these
institutions may download and use directly, but perhaps more likely, to
hire a provider or integrator to provide the complete solution to them. Our
users are thus both the institutions where fineract is in place and the
system integrators and vendors where fineract is a significant part of
their offering.
Is this Mifos?

The Mifos Initiative, a 501c3 US Charity, contributed the code and remains
involved with a wrapper and other systems that run "on top of" fineract.
Many of the developers are on both listservs. However, if you are looking
for information on the latest mifos release, please proceed to:
https://mifos.org/take-action/get-mifos/#download.  Please understand that
devs at fineract may not respond to questions about mifos code.
What is the difference between Fineract and Fineract-CN?

Fineract 1.x is a mature platform with open APIs, while Fineract CN is a
cloud native, microservice architecture also supporting open banking APIs.

Fineract1.x is a completely different code project from fineract-CN.  In
terms of github repositories, fineract1.x is contained in one repo, while
fineract-CN is held in dozens of separate github repos - one for each
microservice.  In Fineract1.x the packages encapsulate the different
functional blocks - e.g. accounts vs transactions, while in Fineract-CN
these are separate microservices.

Fineract1.x, prior to its donation to Apache was called mifosX, and
by-design consists of a "headless" solution.  That is, fineract1.x is all
about the APIs.  Front end applications can be developed separately and
connected to fineract1.x  (For clarity, Mifos at https://github.com/openmf has
a number of front ends to illustrate available functionality; these are not
maintained by fineract, and devs on fineract will not respond to issues
related to the front ends there.)

*Fineract CN* operates on the principle that financial services are an
innovative space and so each fineract microservice encapsulates a domain
that can be combined with other microservices to create new platform
offerings. Fineract CN microservices can be combined to create new software
platforms for digital financial service providers. Fineract CN is still in
its early days, but preliminary tests have shown that a simple
single-instance laptop deployment of Fineract CN can process over 1000
transactions/second. Fineract CN also includes a fully Apache-licensed
backoffice UI.
Do I have to get the code to use the solution?

If all you want is to use the solution, or to demo it, we recommend you use
one of the available builds rather than setting up a development
environment yourself.  The builds, found at
http://fineract.apache.org/ (Downloads)
are provided for convenience and should not be used in a production
environment without fully working out details of operations (e.g. data
backup) and security.  Also, Mifos volunteers continue to post builds for
specific hosting solutions at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mifos_X  (e.g.
Azure and AWS).
What is the process for getting the code and setting up a development
environment?

Please see Contributor's Zone
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Contributor%27s+Zone>,
essentially you need to get your environment ready, then download from the
github source and use one of the common IDEs.

In general we ask that you take the time to read the instructions and
familiarize yourself with the listserv before posting questions about
building the solution.  You can search the listserv archives at
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?fineract.apache.org .  If you find
something missing from the instructions, we welcome contributions of that
sort as well.  Note that the listserv search is time delimited, so that for
example this search gets 24 months:
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@fineract.apache.org:lte=24M:pentaho (see
lte=24M) where search term is "pentaho".
How do I get up to speed on development tasks?

Please see Contributor's Zone
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Contributor%27s+Zone>

There are two issue trackers.

   - fineract1.x  at
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/FINERACT/summary
   - fineract-CN at
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/FINCN/issues/FINCN-26?filter=allopenissues

A good thing to do is to review an open ticket, especially one with back
and forth between devs on the listserv or one that is scheduled for an
upcoming release. It is also useful to review existing pull requests (PRs).
Pull Requests (PRs) are found here →
https://github.com/apache/fineract/pulls
What is our Consensus approach?

Every open source project has to adopt some way to come to agreement on new
features, new code enhancements, new project directions and fineract now
uses a lazy consensus approach.  In this approach, the changes and issues
are raised and people are given time to reject or discuss the changes, and
we rely on contributors to fully vett changes in an appropriate way and
have their code reviewed.

This is documented at Committer's Zone
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Committer%27s+Zone>
 and Changing Processes
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Changing+Processes> .
Please note that we expect discussion on the listserv to be the
primary mode of communication.  "If it didn't happen on the list, it didn't
happen."
I'm new to Open Source, what is this all about?

Welcome.  You may want to first read something about how open source
projects function (like this
<https://opensource.com/resources/what-open-source>) and in particular how
the Apache Foundation works.
https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html.  If you are interested
in contributing to the project, a good way to get started is to subscribe
to the listserv, review the functional specs on this wiki, browse the issue
tickets, and start to play around with a build of the software.  Open
source can be a great way to find your community, contribute and get
feedback, and put your work into public view.  This is true for both code
and the variety of other content needed.
Where do I find ....

We get a lot of questions about where to find documentation or the answer
to a specific thing.  We do appreciate when people take the time to try to
find the answer before asking.  Once you have new content to propose, a
ticket or an improvement to documentation, we encourage you to get involved
on that. Not all contributions are code, take, for example, this FAQ.
Where do I get the Pentaho Reports?

Fineract does not ship Pentaho reports or the related libraries, due to
compliance issues with Apache licence.  Please head over to the Mifos
community <https://github.com/openmf> who maintains distributions of
Fineract that include pentaho.
How do I set this up on my machine?

First, are you a developer?  If you are not, then you may not want to run
fineract on your local machine.  Instead you may want to find one of the
demo environments already established or make use of one of the existing
cloud deployments.  Also, fineract does not come with a native front end
UX.  The UX is part of the distributions that are provided by third
parties, including the aforementioned Mifos Community.

If you are a developer, then please see how to set up sections on the wiki.

Fineract1.x Fineract User Zone
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Fineract+User+Zone>

FneractCN  FINERACT CN
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/FINERACT+CN>
How do I get something changed in the code?  How do I get a feature added?

The project is always interested in ideas about features. That said, we
notice some people expect that a feature requested is automatically
developed and incorporated. That is not the case. If you have code to
suggest, first discuss on the list, add an issue to the issue tracker, and
then find someone to help you contribute that feature.  You are still not
guaranteed that your feature will make it in, because it must also be
accepted by the community.
I have a great idea for a collaboration tool for the community, how do I
make that happen?

We know there are lots of great collaboration tools.  To keep things
consistent across Apache, there is a philosophy of using current tools
rather than cutting edge, while acknowledging there's always something new
and cool. We use email listservs for their backwards compatibility,
searchability, and simplicity. This wiki has hooks to the issue
tracker (JIRA) and github commit entries hook to the same JIRA tickets for
all Pull Requests (PRs).  A good flow is:

email discourse >> wiki entry |or| issue (JIRA)

development sprint >> Pull Request >> email list for review and
confirmation
I represent a Company and want to contribute, how do I do that?

As stated on  http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html, "companies
and individuals can donate resources and be assured that those resources
will be used for the public benefit".  If you have developers working at
your company, you may encourage them to work on the project, but note that
"All of the ASF including the board, the other officers, the committers,
and the members, are participating as individuals."  and further "the ASF
does not allow corporations to participate directly in Apache project
management or other governance activities at the ASF; only individuals."
http://community.apache.org/projectIndependence.html
I found a security flaw, where do I report that?

Security is a mandatory feature in Apache projects. Please report your bug
to security AT fineract.apache.org.
How do I raise a difficult or sensitive topic?

In general, you are invited to discuss problems you see with the
Fineract project
openly, on the dev@fineract.apache.org list.  In some limited cases, please
send an email to private @ fineract.apache.org <pr...@fineract.apache.org>.
Addressing problems early and openly will keep most problems from becoming
too large to handle. A good rule of thumb is to compose and then wait
overnight before firing off that flame.

Re: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) as of May 14, 2019

Posted by Michael Vorburger <mi...@vorburger.ch>.
https://github.com/apache/fineract/commit/c4301843bd36c7b50b5be9c0f5dd6129a050964d

Posted by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org>.
Thanks very much James.