Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@decus.org> on 1997/09/09 13:17:18 UTC

LogLevels revisited..

    Two ideas I've had about the loglevels thing that I'd like to bounce
    off the list:

    1. Make it per-dir configurable (RSRC_CONF||ACCESS_CONF), and
    2. Add a "log level-n regardless" ability.

    The first I think is self-explanatory.  Why?  To debug issues with
    specific realms of the server without logging stuff from others that
    don't have any problems.

    The second probably could use an explanation.  What I mean is the
    ability to tell the server "Log up to level n (what LogLevels
    currently does), but also log anything at level x".  So you have the
    ability to just log APLOG_ERR stuff as part of normal operations,
    but could turn on logging of APLOG_DEBUG without also getting
    WARNING, NOTICE, and INFO.

    I realise this is related to the logmask idea I mentioned back at
    the beginning, but I still like the idea.  I think the combination
    of these two could really aid debugging of the server and its
    configuration.

    Just some thoughts..  We're in feature-freeze, so these are for
    1.3+.

    #ken    P-)}