Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Robert James <sr...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/09 03:22:14 UTC

Purpose of spark-submit?

What is the purpose of spark-submit? Does it do anything outside of
the standard val conf = new SparkConf ... val sc = new SparkContext
... ?

Re: Purpose of spark-submit?

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.
when i write a general spark application i use SparkConf/SparkContext, not
Client.scala for Yarn

Re: Purpose of spark-submit?

Posted by Andrew Or <an...@databricks.com>.

Re: Purpose of spark-submit?

Posted by Ron Gonzalez <zl...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Purpose of spark-submit?

Posted by Ron Gonzalez <zl...@yahoo.com>.
Koert,
Yeah I had the same problems trying to do programmatic submission of spark jobs to my Yarn cluster. I was ultimately able to resolve it by reviewing the classpath and debugging through all the different things that the Spark Yarn client (Client.scala) did for submitting to Yarn (like env setup, local resources, etc), and I compared it to what spark-submit had done.
I have to admit though that it was far from trivial to get it working out of the box, and perhaps some work could be done in that regards. In my case, it had boiled down to the launch environment not having the HADOOP_CONF_DIR set, which prevented the app master from registering itself with the Resource Manager.

Thanks,
Ron

Sent from my iPad

Re: Purpose of spark-submit?

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.
Are you able to share the error you're getting?

Re: Purpose of spark-submit?

Posted by Jerry Lam <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Purpose of spark-submit?

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.