Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by lm...@ca.ibm.com on 2001/09/18 02:23:49 UTC

Status of schema support in xerces-2

The following shows the status of schema development, and proposes 2
checkpoints to roll the support out in.
Comments welcome...

If anyone wants to volunteer for particular development items or open
issues, that would be great...

Thx,
Lisa.

(See attached file: schemastatus.html)

Re: Status of schema support in xerces-2

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
lmartin@ca.ibm.com wrote:
> The following shows the status of schema development, and proposes 2
> checkpoints to roll the support out in.
> Comments welcome...
> [from .html file]
> 4.PSVI API- what should we provide, how should XNI change?

<storng>PSVI: Just Say No.</strong> ;)

Despite my extreme hatred of PSVI, I have serious serious
serious worries about trying to define a generic PSVI API.
I personally don't think it's possible because this spec
and that spec all have different infoset augmentations
and there will be more in the future. These augmentations
do not interoperate well and cannot be layered generically.

Therefore, any PSVI additions to XNI would strictly be for
XML Schema and I don't think that it's appropriate for it
to be defined there. I still think that it's out-of-band
data that needs to be communicated in some other way.

However...

We may want to think about how to associate this out-of-
band data to the individual XNI events. The one way that
pops into my head is to add a parameter to each method.
For example:

  void characters(XMLString text, Info[] info);

where "Info" is defined to be an "empty" interface. Then
it would be the responsibility of individual components
to add their augmentations. In this way the XML Schema
implementation could pass the infoset augmentations in
a general fashion while the accessing and usage of this
information would remain implementation dependent.

Although, as these augmentations get layered, it could
get annoying to manage an array. So it could be an
interface instead that has setters/getters for the
infoset additions. For example:

  void characters(XMLString text, InfoSet infoset);

  interface InfoSet

    putInfo(String type, Info info)
    getInfo(String type):Info
    ...etc...

  interface Info

I would *never* add specific infoset augmentation
interfaces/implementation to XNI. I don't know if I'll
ever be convinced that this would be a "good thing".
However, I'm always open to discussion.