Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> on 2007/06/28 18:53:45 UTC

HttpClient 3.x release build environment?

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get Maven 1 running. So far, I can "maven -v" with
Maven 1.0.2 and the Blackdown JDK 1.4.2. When I try IBM JDK 131,
"maven -v" just hangs. With Blackdown JDK 1.2.2, I get a Java
thread dump. Based on the information in the Wiki at

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/HttpClientReleaseProcess

there should be a version of Maven which I can run with a 1.2.2 JDK.
Could one of you with a working HttpClient 3.1 release build
environment (I guess that's only Oleg right now?) tell me which
version of Maven and Java you are using on which OS? I'd like to
know whether I need to search for an older version of Maven or
whether I need to troubleshoot the Java installation.

thanks,
  Roland

Re: HttpClient 3.x release build environment?

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

>> Some of the pieces will be useful independently of 3.1,
>> but I'll pursue those either way.
>
> Wanna act as a RM for HttpClient 4.0 alpha1?

No way. That doesn't match my timeline of a few months.
Although my lectures are over now, I still have a stack
of written tests I must grade. Then my brother and his
family is coming over from the US for 3 weeks, then I
want to take some vacation myself.

Early next year, during my christmas/new year break, is
a realistic time for trying myself as a release manager.
Maybe client a2 or a3.

cheers,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 16:29 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > It really think your time would be much better spent on developing
> > HttpClient 4.0. What's the point of leaning a very complex build process
> > just for one release? I'll take care of releasing HttpClient 3.1 right
> > after the 4.0 alpha1 release.
>
> OK, suits me :-) I thought you didn't want to bother with 3.1
> anymore.

I do not. But only I and Mike have experience with cutting HttpClient
3.x releases. So, this is just a matter of using our combined cycles
more efficiently.

> Some of the pieces will be useful independently of 3.1,
> but I'll pursue those either way.

Wanna act as a RM for HttpClient 4.0 alpha1?

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> It really think your time would be much better spent on developing
> HttpClient 4.0. What's the point of leaning a very complex build process
> just for one release? I'll take care of releasing HttpClient 3.1 right
> after the 4.0 alpha1 release.

OK, suits me :-) I thought you didn't want to bother with 3.1
anymore. Some of the pieces will be useful independently of 3.1,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 19:31 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > Being able to compile code against a JDK and being able to run it is not
> > the same thing. You can compile HttpClient sources using an older JDK
> > either using ant or an IDE and then use Maven with a newer JDK to build
> > release packages. This is what I used to do.
>
> I haven't thought of that. I guess I am used too much to
> end-to-end build processes which I can start from scratch
> for maximum repeatability. Of course this is a good reason
> why the Ant build for 3.x puts compiled classes into the
> same location as the Maven build.
>
> >> Well, there goes one remote idea. I sure won't
> >> buy Windows to build releases of HttpClient 3.x.
> >> I'm only using Windows when getting paid for it ;-)
> >>
> > I have no intention of making you buy a Windows PC or forcing you into
> > being a RM for HttpClient 3.x.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that. My apologies if it came out wrong.
>
> > These are choices you have to make for
> > yourself. All I am saying one can certainly build Java 1.2.2 compatible
> > release packages on a Linux box.
>
> That's good to know. I am still missing several important
> pieces for building HttpClient 3.x at release quality.
> The idea is to add those pieces one by one over the next
> months. If I get everything together by christmas (Gregorian)
> and nobody else has volunteered as RM until then, I will
> most likely do it as a once-only effort in early January.
> Just to get that monkey off our back.

Hi Roland

It really think your time would be much better spent on developing
HttpClient 4.0. What's the point of leaning a very complex build process
just for one release? I'll take care of releasing HttpClient 3.1 right
after the 4.0 alpha1 release.

Cheers

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>

>> You may want to upgrade to Maven 1.1.
>>

> That prereqs Java 1.4.2.
>

>> Besides, I am not sure Maven is
>> Java 1.2.2 compatible
>>

> The release documentation in the Wiki says:
>
> <quote>
> Make sure you running a 1.2 JVM. This is necessary to ensure
> that the generated binaries are 1.2 compatible.
>
> Generate the binary packages.
>   maven httpclient:dist
> </quote>
>
> So it must have been compatible at some point in time.
>

>> and I would not even bother running anything else
>> than Java 1.4 on Linux anyhow.
>>

> So Linux is not an option as the release build environment.
> Which means I am not an option as the release manager.
>

>> The Maven will produce 1.2 compatible
>> byte code based on the POM regardless of javac version used.
>>

> Bytecode compatible yes. But if you compile against a newer
> version of the Java packages, you can't guarantee binary
> compatibility with JDK 1.2.2.

Roland,

Being able to compile code against a JDK and being able to run it is not
the same thing. You can compile HttpClient sources using an older JDK
either using ant or an IDE and then use Maven with a newer JDK to build
release packages. This is what I used to do.

> We've had that in OpenCard: when compiling with JDK 1.1,
> there was a reference to a 1.1-only class somewhere in the
> hierarchy, and the binaries would no longer run on JDK 1.0.
> Or has that behavior changed in newer Java versions?
> I've also compiled httpclient 4.0 with java.version set to
> 1.3 for some time by mistake. No problems reported, and
> I'm sure we're using something 1.4-only somewhere in there.
>
> Well, there goes one remote idea. I sure won't
> buy Windows to build releases of HttpClient 3.x.
> I'm only using Windows when getting paid for it ;-)

I have no intention of making you buy a Windows PC or forcing you into
being a RM for HttpClient 3.x. These are choices you have to make for

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to get Maven 1 running. So far, I can "maven -v" with
> Maven 1.0.2 and the Blackdown JDK 1.4.2. When I try IBM JDK 131,
> "maven -v" just hangs. With Blackdown JDK 1.2.2, I get a Java
> thread dump. Based on the information in the Wiki at
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/HttpClientReleaseProcess
>
> there should be a version of Maven which I can run with a 1.2.2 JDK.
> Could one of you with a working HttpClient 3.1 release build
> environment (I guess that's only Oleg right now?) tell me which
> version of Maven and Java you are using on which OS? I'd like to
> know whether I need to search for an older version of Maven or
> whether I need to troubleshoot the Java installation.
>
> thanks,
>   Roland

Roland,

You may want to upgrade to Maven 1.1. Besides, I am not sure Maven is
Java 1.2.2 compatible and I would not even bother running anything else
than Java 1.4 on Linux anyhow. The Maven will produce 1.2 compatible