Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by nisen <ni...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/22 03:35:20 UTC

Re: [idea] PdfReader In Google Summer of Code 2010

I am this discuss beginer.
Sorry for late reply.I just came back from China Spring Festival and
returned to working mode.

I study a lot from your reply.I summary next:
 * Not only a reader,it's a PDFBoxGUI:reader,editor,other tools
 * There are no APL/ASL PDF GUI
 * Everyone like the idea but have no much time.We are busy :)
 * plug-ins

 other PDF GUI (open source,share or commercial)
* inforama ( http://www.inforama.org  )
* NeoOffice
* Adobe Acrobat Professional
* Foxit (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/)
* xpdf
* ICEpdf
* more ......... need you add

--
nisen 倪森  from China
Blog: http://nisen.javaeye.com

Re: [idea] PdfReader In Google Summer of Code 2010

Posted by nisen <ni...@gmail.com>.
About Me:
I am a java teacher and programer。I seek projects for my student.It's
difficult to develop PDFBox GUI  for my students,because they student
one year up to 2010-7-1.They can complete a plugin at the mentor's
help。I am the mentor.

I can contribute 15 hour every hour.Write mail is slow for me,I'd like
to write wiki or code.

--
nisen(English Name)/倪森(Chinese Name)
Blog: http://nisen.javaeye.com

Re: [idea] PdfReader In Google Summer of Code 2010

Posted by nisen <ni...@gmail.com>.
the PDFBox related projects aim by my understand:

PDFBox: API、ANT UI 、Text UI for pdf
FontBox: Font API, Simple GUI( like view font)
JempBox:XMP metadata API
PDFBox GUI: a standalone GUI for pdf use pdfbox lib

Posted by Dexter Mishra <de...@gmail.com>.
Ya Pivot is cool. Though I have not used it till now as I am less into Java
now a days, I liked it, well even considering to use it to create a small
visual language. The samples demonstrated are great. We can use it as that
is also an apache project and I would really love to see it load a really
big PDF with Images :).

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
> Is it possible we create a simple plugin system base Pivot ?I think
> the WTKX is  a good lib for create a plugins system。 Maybe OSGi is
> need, we can choose Apache Felix .

Pivot doesn't have any built-in plugin system, but it certainly could be
built at the app-level.  PIVOT-22 is a forward-looking ticket that tracks
what we might do in the future to hook into OSGi.

Posted by nisen <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi todd,

Posted by nisen <ni...@gmail.com>.
@Mel

Posted by "Martinez, Mel - 1004 - MITLL" <m....@ll.mit.edu>.
Hi nisen,

A 'lens' is (simplest example) the piece of glass in your eyeglasses or the pieces of glass in a telescope, microscope, etc.

A lens bends light to allow us to see things better.

A GUI for viewing / introspecting / modifying PDF documents is analogous to a 'lens' with which to 'see' the document better.

I hope this is helpful.

-Mel

Posted by nisen <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I like that.

m.martinez@ll.mit.edu> wrote:

> What about 'PDFLens' --> implies the viewer and any introspection
> capabilities.
>
> Doesn't sell editing capabilities, but I don't think that should be a big
> deal.
>
> Just tossing it into the ring ...  :-)
>
> Mel
>
> Dr. Mel Martinez
> m.martinez@ll.mit.edu

From:
Dexter Mishra <de...@gmail.com>
To:
dev@pdfbox.apache.org
Date:
02/24/2010 07:55

Posted by Ad...@swmc.com.
PDFDbg is good if the target audience is developers & researchers.  If
it's to be a general replacement for Adobe Acrobat Standard, then I don't
think that name really makes sense.

We could always just choose an animal, that seems to be a popular theme
(Pidgin, Firefox, FoxIt, Thunderbird, Seamonkey, etc.).  Plus then we'd
already have an idea of what the logo should look like.  Having said that,
it seems most of the cool names I came up with along these lines were
already taken.

--Adam

From:
Dexter Mishra <de...@gmail.com>
To:
dev@pdfbox.apache.org
Date:
02/24/2010 07:55

Posted by Dexter Mishra <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nisen <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Adam's suggestions.
Daniel

2010/2/23 <Ad...@swmc.com>

> Why use org.apachechina.* instead of the standard org.apache.*?
>
> As for a name, how about OpenPDF?  As it will be a simple open source PDF
> manipulation (reader/writer) program, it seems to make sense.
>
> --Adam
>

> From:
> nisen <ni...@gmail.com>
> To:
> dev@pdfbox.apache.org
> Date:
> 02/22/2010 20:19
> Re: [idea] PdfReader In Google Summer of Code 2010
>

> Thanks for your support.
>
> Based on your advice I create the project
> http://code.google.com/p/pdfboxgui/ .
>
> = Project Info=  copy from the project index.html
>  * Project Name: PDFBOX GUI
>  * package Name:org.apachechina.pdfboxgui
>
> I give the name 'PDFBox GUI' ,not a cool name,any other suggest?
>

> 2010/2/23 Dexter Mishra <de...@gmail.com>:
> > Even I can contribute to this in my free time, but I agree that it
> should be
> > separate than PDFBox. Being an academic project can give it a longer
> life
> > also. Frankly speaking what I would like is a sort of easy debugging
> tool
> > you can say for PDF also.
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Martinez, Mel - 1004 - MITLL <
> > m.martinez@ll.mit.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> I would support the idea of building these GUI tools and if I can find
> the
> >> free time, would even contribute code or at least testing.
> >>
> >> But it should be implemented as a separate project that is dependent on
> >> PDFBox.
> >>
> >> My concern is keeping PDFBox itself somewhat cohesive at being a
> library of
> >> services.
> >>
> >> Doing it this way also gives you the advantage of targeting a specific
> >> version (i.e. the latest 'release' version) of PDFBox upon which to
> build
> >> the GUI, rather than the moving target that is the development version.
> >>
> >> 'Need a good name for the project.
> >>
> >> Just my $.02.

From:
nisen <ni...@gmail.com>