Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Manuel de Ferran <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/09 12:24:50 UTC

MultiMaster HBase: --backup really needed ?

Greetings,

I'm playing without MultiMaster, and I was wondering if --backup is really
needed.

As far as I have observed, masters race to be the active one. Is there any
drawback in not mentioning --backup on additional nodes ?

Manuel DE FERRAN

Re: MultiMaster HBase: --backup really needed ?

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
The problem with having a bunch of master racing is that it's not evident
for the operator who won, so specifying --backup to all but one master
ensures that you always easily know where the master is.

Relevant code from HMaster.java:

    // If we're a backup master, stall until a primary to writes his address
    if (!c.getBoolean(HConstants.MASTER_TYPE_BACKUP,
      HConstants.DEFAULT_MASTER_TYPE_BACKUP)) {
      return;
    }

J-D

Posted by Bryan Beaudreault <bb...@hubspot.com>.