Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mickael Magniez <mi...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/08 09:14:07 UTC

Faceting unknown fields

Hello,

I'm wondering if it's possible to index and facet "unknown" fields.

Let's me explain:
I've got a set of 1M products (from computer to freezer), and each category
of product has some attributes, so number of attributes is pretty large
(1000+).

I've started to describe each attribute in my schema, but i think it will be
hard to maintain.

So, can I index and facet these fields, without describe then in my schema?

I will first try with dynamic fields, but I'm not sure it's going to work.

Anyone's got some idea?

Mickael.

Re: Faceting unknown fields

Posted by Mickael Magniez <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks,

I'll test your solution shortly

Mickael.

Re: Faceting unknown fields

Posted by Rebecca Watson <be...@gmail.com>.
hi,

> So, can I index and facet these fields, without describe then in my schema?
>
> I will first try with dynamic fields, but I'm not sure it's going to work.

we do all our facet fields in this way, with just general string field
for single/multivalued
fields:
<!-- dynamic facet fields single/multiple valued fields for faceting -->
	 <dynamicField name="*_fcm" type="string" indexed="true"
stored="false" multiValued="true"/>
	 <dynamicField name="*_fc" type="string" indexed="true"
stored="false" multiValued="false"/>

and faceting works...

but you will still need to know the specific name of the field(s) to use in the
facet.field URL parameter (i.e. as long as your UI knows!).

hope that helps

bec :)