Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2019/05/07 10:40:03 UTC

ApacheCon Geospatial track - proposal for a speaker

Hello all

The ApacheCon North America will have a geospatial track [1] leads by
the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) for the third year. Unfortunately I
will not be able to attend that ApacheCon, but I would be interested in
helping to prepare a talk if someone else volunteers. The talk could be
an introduction to the recent advancements in referencing by coordinates
(new conceptual model published conjointly by ISO and OGC, and its
representation in Well Known Text format) and its implementation in open
source projects. In particular the GDAL/PROJ community raised $144,000
for upgrading their library [2] and completed their work recently. The
talk could do a comparison of GDAL/PROJ with Apache SIS and possibly
other open source projects. Having this talk done by someone else than
me could actually be an advantage for giving a more neutral perspective
in this comparison. Interoperability between those libraries via GeoAPI
would also be discussed.

The deadline for submitting a talk is next Monday (May 13th). The
ApacheCon is in Las Vegas in September. Is anyone interested in doing
such talk? I would help her/him to prepare the abstract to submit on
Monday and the slides for September. I may reuse that material myself
for ApacheCon Europe (Berlin) in October.

    Martin

[1] https://blogs.apache.org/conferences/entry/the-open-geospatial-consortium-lads
[2] https://gdalbarn.com/

RE: ApacheCon Geospatial track - proposal for a speaker

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

Good to know, because ECE and ApacheCon Europe actually overlap so it would have been possible but a bit stressful and tight to do both.

We have not so many People in the wider Units of Measurement community from America, Otavio in Brazil is there and he also participated in Apache Projects but I can’t say because he suggested he’s moving to a new Company, if that allows him to participate in conferences as much as he did so far?

Werner

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Werner