Posted to user@giraph.apache.org by Benjamin Heitmann <be...@deri.org> on 2012/05/10 18:43:08 UTC

Running munge maven plugin from Eclipse? (slightly off-topic)

Hello,

since giraph requires the maven munge plugin in order to have correct source,
and since google did not find any existing solution, I though it might be okay to ask this here:

How can I tell eclipse or the m2e maven eclipse plugin to execute the munge maven plugin so that I have
giraph sources which actually compile in eclipse without errors ?

Right now, I need to edit the java source files which are broken due to the munge syntax manually.
However, I need to do this every time those files get changed.

Is there an easier way to do this ?

cheers, Benjamin.

Re: Running munge maven plugin from Eclipse? (slightly off-topic)

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
Three or four small patches is equivalent to three or four branches,
one for each version of Hadoop.  That seems like a pretty big hassle
over the long term.

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Claudio Martella <cl...@gmail.com>.
Talking yesterday at the workshop with the other committers and users it
seams obvious that we should really get rid of the munge headache ASAP. I
wish I had a solution though, probably branching looks the best right now.

--
   Claudio Martella
   claudio.martella@gmail.com

Running munge maven plugin from Eclipse? (slightly off-topic)

Posted by Claudio Martella <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
   Claudio Martella
   claudio.martella@gmail.com

Re: Running munge maven plugin from Eclipse? (slightly off-topic)

Posted by Avery Ching <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.
Benjamin Heitmann wrote:
> On 25 May 2012, at 08:19, Avery Ching wrote:
>
>> Actually, I suspect that we can remove munge if we get rid of the Hadoop RPC
implementation and only use the Netty one.  Any thoughts on that?

> +1
>
> That would be great.
>
> Its hard to say if the munge maven plugin is actively maintained/supported,
there does not really seem to be a web site for it AFAIK...

Hi Benjamin, Sebastian, Avery,
there is GIRAPH-196 to track progress on this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-196 (initial patch available)

While I see no problem in replacing the Hadoop RPC with the Netty implementation
Avery contributed, I am not 100% sure about the implications in relation to
secure vs. non-secure versions of Hadoop.

In particular, the removal of BspPolicyProvider.java and BspTokenSelector.java
(that might be a mistake).

>From my point of view, not being able to work with the support of an IDE as
normal (I use Eclipse) is quite a limitation. In particular when you need to
refactor some code. I work and make my changes with Eclipse, as usual, but those
are on the generated code. Then you need to manually port/copy them to the
'real' sources in src/ and you do not have the help of SVN to tell you what's
changed since generated sources are in target and (rightly so) not under version
control.

If changes to support different versions of Hadoop cannot be factored out,
another option (IMHO better than the current situation) would be to maintain two
or three small patches that people who want to use Giraph with a different
version of Hadoop can eventually apply.

What do you think?

Paolo

Re: Running munge maven plugin from Eclipse? (slightly off-topic)

Posted by Benjamin Heitmann <be...@deri.org>.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
+1

That would be awesome.

I cannot execute the tests in IntelliJ anymore since we integrated the
munge plugin...

Best,
Sebastian

Posted by Avery Ching <ac...@apache.org>.