Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2003/01/02 04:08:17 UTC

RSS feed for ApacheWiki now in beta test

Give it a whirl:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewikitest.cgi?action=rss

If its good... I'll move it over in place of the existing script.
 Apparently it doesn't do
everything in the RSS that would make some people happy...

If you have suggestions, patch this:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewikitest.txt
and I'll apply them (please use diff -u format).. . Earlier there was
some confusion by what
"send patches" meant... Some thought this meant "send things you'd like
me to do and I'll code
it for you"... you were mistaken... ;-)

I just learned way more about PERL than I ever cared to know..  Life
without running "cpan"
is pretty painful.  Those who don't how cpan..  I don't care for PERL
but cpan is like the greatest
thing ever invented.  Its nearly rock solid... You want to install a
module... you type "cpan package::module" and
whamo...its done.  Without CPAN you have to put this: "
use lib qw (/dir/subdir/subsubdir/lib); at the top of files... and hunt
down the dependencies and all that...

I know Cocoon is working on "blocks" (and the concept is infectious
throughout the Avalon community...which includes
Cocoon)... "cpan" is a key modal to emulate!  Its the one thing in PERL
I actually like to use...

-Andy

Re: RSS feed for ApacheWiki now in beta test

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
That did the trick.
Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>Invent a CPAN style method of satisfying Java dependancies, quick while
>you're still enthusiastic....

The boys at krysalis.org will probably do it eventually...  Once Nick
and Ken get
finished with the gump symbiosis, I bet versioning and dependency
resolution won't be
too far behind ;-)

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Daniel Rall wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Danny Angus wrote:
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >
> > >  I don't care for PERL
> > > but cpan is like the greatest
> > > thing ever invented.
> >
> > Invent a CPAN style method of satisfying Java dependancies, quick while
> > you're still enthusiastic....
>
> I believe that both Maven and JJar include this sort of functionality.

And there has long been a CJAN project, www.cjan.org, but it seems to have
spent a long time trying to design the ins and outs of some complicated
system.

If it doesn't hurry up, http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/ [and whatever
mirror'd system ends up replacing this] will beat them to it.

Hen

RE: RSS feed for ApacheWiki now in beta test

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

CPAN for java [was Re: RSS feed for ApacheWiki now in beta test]

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Danny Angus wrote:
>

>>Invent a CPAN style method of satisfying Java dependancies, quick while
>>you're still enthusiastic....
>

> And define jar-filename and a a MANIFEST standard for jar's across the
> ASF; including license references ;-) some level of indirection system
> where 'jars.apache.org/xerves -> maps to a bit of XML with the right info
> followed by a nice and tight Ant task to do the right thing :-) And should
> any energy be left over; a niftly class loader (with added crypto checks)
> would be lovely too :-)

I would add: transparent integration with the ASF mirroring system.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

RE: RSS feed for ApacheWiki now in beta test

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Danny Angus wrote:

> Invent a CPAN style method of satisfying Java dependancies, quick while
> you're still enthusiastic....

And define jar-filename and a a MANIFEST standard for jar's across the
ASF; including license references ;-) some level of indirection system
where 'jars.apache.org/xerves -> maps to a bit of XML with the right info
followed by a nice and tight Ant task to do the right thing :-) And should
any energy be left over; a niftly class loader (with added crypto checks)
would be lovely too :-)

Dw

--------------080409070108030709000205--

RE: RSS feed for ApacheWiki now in beta test

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.