Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nereide.fr> on 2016/04/07 11:35:58 UTC

User pref or not user pref

Hi all,

We are thinking on a new theme (again) that will be more user friendly
and UX oriented.
We want to be able to customize menu (component and its sub menu).

User pref could be the clue but we are not sure because if all menu and
sub menu (and maybe 3rd or 4th level menu) user preference are recorded
in the user pref, it could be a nightmare for the database access if
there is a lot of users. And only for user preference, it's not a good idea.
We also think about using cookies but it could be a problem if the user
user several computers.

What do you think ? Do you already try to develop this kind of feature ?

Thanks,

Julien.

Re: User pref or not user pref

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
This could be parametrised, cookies for lot of users, cache for less users.
Without any measure, I guess it should a very high number of users before it's really a problem for caching (usual production servers have now at
least 16GB...), so cache would be the default

Jacques

Re: User pref or not user pref

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nereide.fr>.

Re: User pref or not user pref

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: User pref or not user pref

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Am 07.04.2016 11:35, schrieb Julien NICOLAS:
> Hi all,
>
> We are thinking on a new theme (again) that will be more user friendly
> and UX oriented.
> We want to be able to customize menu (component and its sub menu).
>
> User pref could be the clue but we are not sure because if all menu
> and sub menu (and maybe 3rd or 4th level menu) user preference are
> recorded in the user pref, it could be a nightmare for the database
> access if there is a lot of users. And only for user preference, it's
> not a good idea.
> We also think about using cookies but it could be a problem if the
> user user several computers.
>
> What do you think ? Do you already try to develop this kind of feature ?

I think this must done on the server side, because, as you already
mentioned, a user will expect the same menu independet from the used
browser/computer.
Database access shouldn't be a problem with caching.

Christian

Re: User pref or not user pref

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
That also means that Javascript should be used...

Jacques

Re: User pref or not user pref

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.