Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ing. Andrea Vettori" <a....@b2bires.com> on 2017/08/29 09:24:06 UTC

Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Hello,
W're running several instances of Tomcat 8.5.20 / JDK8.144 / CentOs7 on our company for various web sites in many hosts. Recently I’m trying to understand a performance problem we’re having on our e-commerce web site.
The configuration is the following

HAProxy   <—> 2x Tomcat 8.5.20 <—>  JBoss 5.1 EJB <—> Postgres 9.6

Tomcat runs a web site built with Struts / Freemarker that does call JBoss EJBs with RMI.
Monitoring a specific task (putting a product on the cart) I see the following :

- with a fresh started tomcat instance, the time it takes is around 0,8 seconds. Most of the time is spent on the two RMI calls the task does.
- with an instance that is running from some time, the time can reach 2/3 seconds; occasionally 5/6 seconds. Most time is still spent on RMI calls. I.e. what slows down are the RMI calls.
- restarting the jvm fixes the issue
- ***it seems*** but I’m still testing this since it seems there’s no ‘meatspace gc trigger command available', that when Metaspace is garbage collected, tomcat then performs like a fresh instance.

Since we’re using more than one tomcat instance (2 in production for this website, 1 for development) I can see that the issue is isolated to Tomcat or the JVM/Host where it runs because other Tomcat instances behave well at the same time one is slow. The same JBoss/Postgres backend is used by java batches and fat clients and it does work well with consistent times.

To clarify: the moment one production tomcat that is running from some time finishes the task in 3 seconds, the development tomcat or a fresh started production tomcat instance does the same task in less that one second. Note that repeating the task gives always consistent results, i.e. the instance is running from some time is always slow,  the fresh running instance is always fast.

Tomcat is running with these VM options:

-Xms20480m -Xmx20480m -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000 -Xloggc:/tmp/gc.txt -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9012 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=1g -XX:InitialCodeCacheSize=256m -XX:+UseHugeTLBFS -XX:MetaspaceSize=1g -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=2g

Some of the options have been recently added (for example the increase in code cache  size) but it seems they had no impact on the issue.

Metaspace goes up to 1,6GB before being collected. Value after garbage collect is around 200MB. Heap usage is variable, it usually stays under 10G and is around 1G after garbage collect.
CPU usage rarely goes over 10%. Loaded classes between 20k and 40k. Active sessions around 100/120 for each instance.

Any help or direction to understand what’s causing this is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
—
Ing. Andrea Vettori

Re: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Posted by "Ing. Andrea Vettori" <a....@b2bires.com>.
> On 30 Aug 2017, at 01:13, Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com> wrote:
>
> Is it possible that the system is getting into swapping?  The heap has been
> set to 20 GiB, but I didn't see any mention of how much actual memory the
> system has.  Do you really need a 20 GiB heap?  Sometimes smaller is better.
> Might also want to try turning off UseHugeTLBFS.

No swap is used on the server; it has 32GB of ram. I think the heap usage is at most 15/16GB… in the past I tried various heap sizes and I think this size works well.

> I wonder if there are heap objects tied up due to dead but not collected
> metaspace items; when metaspace is GC'd, the heap usage might well shrink
> also.  (This might be a G1GC bug, but that seems unlikely.)  Perhaps the RMI
> mechanism (which I haven't looked at in many years) is searching an
> ever-growing set of soft/weak references that are removed when metaspace is
> collected.  A smaller heap might help there.

Thanks for your suggestions

RE: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

> > > That sounds like a healthy behavior to me. That means GC is
> > > occurring and Metaspace is getting cleaned up. Why do you think
> > > Metaspace is the problem?

> > Because I can observe that when the metaspace is collected the
> > requests become fast. I observer that a few hours ago, looking at
> > the metaspace graph of the java console and doing requests just
> > after the collect.

> RMI is known for flagrantly wasting permgen/metaspace because of all
> the Proxy objects and special throw-away Class objects it uses, etc.
> But I'm not sure why the metaspace filling up would have such a
> dramatic effect on performance.

> At any rate, this is not a problem with Tomcat itself: this is likely
> entirely JVM-related.

Is it possible that the system is getting into swapping?  The heap has been
set to 20 GiB, but I didn't see any mention of how much actual memory the
system has.  Do you really need a 20 GiB heap?  Sometimes smaller is better.
Might also want to try turning off UseHugeTLBFS.

I wonder if there are heap objects tied up due to dead but not collected
metaspace items; when metaspace is GC'd, the heap usage might well shrink
also.  (This might be a G1GC bug, but that seems unlikely.)  Perhaps the RMI
mechanism (which I haven't looked at in many years) is searching an
ever-growing set of soft/weak references that are removed when metaspace is
collected.  A smaller heap might help there.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.

Re: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Posted by "Ing. Andrea Vettori" <a....@b2bires.com>.
> On 31 Aug 2017, at 17:55, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Andrea,
>
> On 8/30/17 4:13 PM, Ing. Andrea Vettori wrote:
>>> On 30 Aug 2017, at 00:16, Christopher Schultz
>>> <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote: RMI is known for flagrantly
>>> wasting permgen/metaspace because of all the Proxy objects and
>>> special throw-away Class objects it uses, etc. But I'm not sure
>>> why the metaspace filling up would have such a dramatic effect on
>>> performance. If you were stalling during a metaspace collection,
>>> it might make sense, but that's not what you are reporting.
>>
>> That’s true in fact what I’d like to understand is if a big
>> metaspace can affect performance… one thing I want to try is to run
>> the app with metaspace capped at 400/500MB. On java 7 I had PermGen
>> at 512 and as far as I remember, it was working fine.
>
> Yes, I think limiting the metaspace might help. It may result in more
> frequent, smaller GC cycles.
>
> I actually don't know much about the (relatively) new metaspace
> region, but it's possible that GC in the metaspace is a "stop the
> world" operation where the JVM can't do anything else during that time.

I tried that this morning. I set one tomcat with max metaspace set to 512mb, left the other one with 2gb. The one with 512mb was faster to call jboss on average but triggered a lot more the gc so some calls where very slow (the ones when the gc triggered).

If you’ve seen my other reply the performance problem has been fixed but the curiosity to understand why big metaspace is slow remains…

Thanks

Re: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Posted by "Ing. Andrea Vettori" <a....@b2bires.com>.
> On 30 Aug 2017, at 00:16, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>

>>> Another thing, is there any way you can measure the processing
>>> time in JBoss for each RMI calls?
>>>

>> At the moment I’m not measuring the time on the jboss side but I’m
>> considering using a telemetry product in the future. I’m measuring
>> the time on the client side (tomcat or fat client).
>
> I think it's critical to get metrics on the JBoss side, otherwise you
> don't even know where the problem might be. It's good information to
> have that the application running within Tomcat performs well
> immediately following a metaspace collection

this and the fact that other “clients” are not slow

> , but it's not enough
> information to inform a good decision.
>
> RMI is known for flagrantly wasting permgen/metaspace because of all
> the Proxy objects and special throw-away Class objects it uses, etc.
> But I'm not sure why the metaspace filling up would have such a
> dramatic effect on performance. If you were stalling during a
> metaspace collection, it might make sense, but that's not what you are
> reporting.

That’s true in fact what I’d like to understand is if a big metaspace can affect performance… one thing I want to try is to run the app with metaspace capped at 400/500MB. On java 7 I had PermGen at 512 and as far as I remember, it was working fine.

> It's like saying that HTTP traffic slows down on your PC
> until you empty your Recycle Bin.
>
> At any rate, this is not a problem with Tomcat itself: this is likely
> entirely JVM-related. I'm sure everyone is happy to discuss it, here
> (on a Tomcat-specific mailing list), but there aren't any
> Tomcat-related settings that you will be able to tweak that affect
> your environment in any way.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Re: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Andrea,

On 8/29/17 8:09 AM, Ing. Andrea Vettori wrote:
> [...]
>>> garbage collect is around 200MB. Heap usage is variable, it
>>> usually stays under 10G and is around 1G after garbage
>>> collect. CPU usage rarely goes over 10%. Loaded classes between
>>> 20k and 40k. Active sessions around 100/120 for each instance.
>>>

>> That sounds like a healthy behavior to me. That means GC is
>> occurring and Metaspace is getting cleaned up. Why do you think
>> Metaspace is the problem?
>
> Because I can observe that when the metaspace is collected the
> requests become fast. I observer that a few hours ago, looking at
> the metaspace graph of the java console and doing requests just
> after the collect.
>
>> From the given data, my first impression is JVM is not having
>> any memory pressure. If you can post your gc.txt file to this
>> group, I would be happy to check it.
>
> Thanks, here’s a link for gceasy report:
RzLnR4dC5nei0tMTEtNDktMzQ=

and the txt log file: http://ge.tt/1Un0DLm2
> Please consider that I triggered a Full GC manually two times on
> this server.
>

>> Another thing, is there any way you can measure the processing
>> time in JBoss for each RMI calls?
>>

> At the moment I’m not measuring the time on the jboss side but I’m
> considering using a telemetry product in the future. I’m measuring
> the time on the client side (tomcat or fat client).

I think it's critical to get metrics on the JBoss side, otherwise you
don't even know where the problem might be. It's good information to
have that the application running within Tomcat performs well
immediately following a metaspace collection, but it's not enough
information to inform a good decision.

RMI is known for flagrantly wasting permgen/metaspace because of all
the Proxy objects and special throw-away Class objects it uses, etc.
But I'm not sure why the metaspace filling up would have such a
dramatic effect on performance. If you were stalling during a
metaspace collection, it might make sense, but that's not what you are
reporting. It's like saying that HTTP traffic slows down on your PC
until you empty your Recycle Bin.

At any rate, this is not a problem with Tomcat itself: this is likely
entirely JVM-related. I'm sure everyone is happy to discuss it, here
(on a Tomcat-specific mailing list), but there aren't any
Tomcat-related settings that you will be able to tweak that affect
your environment in any way.

- -chris

Re: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Posted by "Ing. Andrea Vettori" <a....@b2bires.com>.
> On 29 Aug 2017, at 14:24, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 29/08/17 13:09, Ing. Andrea Vettori wrote:
>>> On 29 Aug 2017, at 12:29, Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sill question, do you mean RMI calls generating from Tomcat is getting
>>> slower with time? or, JBoss is taking time to return the response?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>> What I see is that the http requests are slower. Looking at the details of that specific request (putting a product in the cart) using System.nanotime I can see that most of the time is spent during the RMI calls. I’m pretty sure it’s not jboss that is slower because doing other calls at the same time with fresh tomcats or with a java client they're not slow.
>
> I'd try profiling the problematic code. Given the magnitude of the
> times, sampling should be sufficient which means you could do this on
> production when the problem happens. You'll probably need to configure
> it to log JVM internal calls.
>
> I use YourKit (because they give me a free license to use to develop
> Tomcat). Other profilers are available.
>
> Mark

Thank you, I’m going to try this soon and report back what I find.

Re: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Posted by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com>.
> Profiling the code I have been able to find the cause of the big metaspace garbage…
> Due to a bug, we were not caching remote interfaces when connecting to jboss from the web sites. Other client kind was ok.
> Fixed this problem today, it’s a few hours that the system is running fine. It’s fast (faster than before even with a fresh tomcat); metaspace says low and everything is fine.

That's a very good news!

Re: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Posted by "Ing. Andrea Vettori" <a....@b2bires.com>.
> On 29 Aug 2017, at 14:24, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 29/08/17 13:09, Ing. Andrea Vettori wrote:
>>> On 29 Aug 2017, at 12:29, Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sill question, do you mean RMI calls generating from Tomcat is getting
>>> slower with time? or, JBoss is taking time to return the response?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>> What I see is that the http requests are slower. Looking at the details of that specific request (putting a product in the cart) using System.nanotime I can see that most of the time is spent during the RMI calls. I’m pretty sure it’s not jboss that is slower because doing other calls at the same time with fresh tomcats or with a java client they're not slow.
>
> I'd try profiling the problematic code. Given the magnitude of the
> times, sampling should be sufficient which means you could do this on
> production when the problem happens. You'll probably need to configure
> it to log JVM internal calls.

Profiling the code I have been able to find the cause of the big metaspace garbage…
Due to a bug, we were not caching remote interfaces when connecting to jboss from the web sites. Other client kind was ok.
Fixed this problem today, it’s a few hours that the system is running fine. It’s fast (faster than before even with a fresh tomcat); metaspace says low and everything is fine.

This solves my problem. Thanks to everybody that helped with comments and suggestions.

Still ’m very curios to know why big metaspace causes such increasing slowness… looking at the GC logs it seems not a gc problem… maybe metaspace handling by the jvm is not optimal when it’s big ?

Re: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Ing. Andrea Vettori" <a....@b2bires.com>.
> On 31 Aug 2017, at 15:24, Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I will suggest that if you have some budget, please get a decent APM
> like AppDynamics, New Relic, Dynatrace to monitor your prod system
> 24x7x365. Trust me, you will be able to identify and solve this type
> of sporadic slowness issue very quickly.

Thank you, I’m using ‘perfino’ since a couple days and it seems very good.

Re: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Posted by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com>.
Andrea,

>> Sometimes Full GC were able to clean up some space from Metaspace but
>> only as part of a final last ditch collection effort:
>>
>> 43618.504: [Full GC (Last ditch collection)  1386M->250M(20G), 1.6455823 secs]
>>   [Eden: 0.0B(6408.0M)->0.0B(6408.0M) Survivors: 0.0B->0.0B Heap:
>> 1386.7M(20.0G)->250.5M(20.0G)], [Metaspace:
>> 1646471K->163253K(1843200K)]
>> [Times: user=2.23 sys=0.10, real=1.65 secs]
>> 49034.392: [Full GC (Last ditch collection)  1491M->347M(20G), 1.9965534 secs]
>>   [Eden: 0.0B(5600.0M)->0.0B(5600.0M) Survivors: 0.0B->0.0B Heap:
>> 1491.1M(20.0G)->347.9M(20.0G)], [Metaspace:
>> 1660804K->156199K(2031616K)]
>> [Times: user=2.78 sys=0.10, real=2.00 secs]
>
> This is interesting because I see this pattern for metaspace gc…
>
> https://ibb.co/b2B9HQ
>
> there’s something that clears it but it seems it’s not the full gc. I don’t think there’s something that happens in the app that causes that much metaspace  space to become instantly dead. So I think the full gc is not doing the metaspace cleaning the way it could do it. Maybe it’s a light clean…

I believe MinMetaspaceFreeRatio and MaxMetaspaceFreeRatio playing a
role there. Default values for them in JDK 1.8 is 40 and 70
respectively. You can read about it more here:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/vm/gctuning/considerations.html

>> That's is the default value. Please see:
>> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/rmi/sunrmiproperties.html <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/rmi/sunrmiproperties.html>
>
> They must have changed it recently, it was 180k when I first checked that option. Do you think it’s worth to increase it ? I don’t see a full gc every hour…

I have seen that if you use G1 GC, then JVM completely ignores those
RMI DGC parameter values. If you use Parallel GC, then you will see
periodical Full GCs(System.gc) are getting triggered based on those
param values. I did not get chance to go in-depth about this behavior
of G1. As G1 is new and much more efficient than other collectors(I
know this statement can draw some arguments), probably it is cleaning
those RMI objects more efficiently.

I will suggest that if you have some budget, please get a decent APM
like AppDynamics, New Relic, Dynatrace to monitor your prod system
24x7x365. Trust me, you will be able to identify and solve this type
of sporadic slowness issue very quickly.

Thanks!
Suvendu

Re: Performance issue 8.5.20 (metaspace related?)

Posted by "Ing. Andrea Vettori" <a....@b2bires.com>.

Posted by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com>.
Andrea,

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Ing. Andrea Vettori
<a....@b2bires.com> wrote:
>> On 29 Aug 2017, at 12:29, Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Ing. Andrea Vettori
>> <a....@b2bires.com> wrote:
>>> - with a fresh started tomcat instance, the time it takes is around 0,8 seconds. Most of the time is spent on the two RMI calls the task does.
>>> - with an instance that is running from some time, the time can reach 2/3 seconds; occasionally 5/6 seconds. Most time is still spent on RMI calls. I.e. what slows down are the RMI calls.
>>
>> Sill question, do you mean RMI calls generating from Tomcat is getting
>> slower with time? or, JBoss is taking time to return the response?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> What I see is that the http requests are slower. Looking at the details of that specific request (putting a product in the cart) using System.nanotime I can see that most of the time is spent during the RMI calls. I’m pretty sure it’s not jboss that is slower because doing other calls at the same time with fresh tomcats or with a java client they're not slow.

I will still suggest to monitor JBoss closely because it is important
part of your workflow. Please check GC stats also.

Posted by "Ing. Andrea Vettori" <a....@b2bires.com>.

Posted by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

<a....@b2bires.com> wrote:
> [...]

> Some of the options have been recently added (for example the increase in code cache  size) but it seems they had no impact on the issue.

Is there any specific reason to trigger Full GC every
60min(-Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000)? I think that's
overkill.

> Metaspace goes up to 1,6GB before being collected. Value after garbage collect is around 200MB. Heap usage is variable, it usually stays under 10G and is around 1G after garbage collect.
> CPU usage rarely goes over 10%. Loaded classes between 20k and 40k. Active sessions around 100/120 for each instance.

That sounds like a healthy behavior to me. That means GC is occurring
and Metaspace is getting cleaned up. Why do you think Metaspace is the
From the given data, my first impression is JVM is not having any
memory pressure. If you can post your gc.txt file to this group, I
would be happy to check it.

Another thing, is there any way you can measure the processing time in
JBoss for each RMI calls?

> Any help or direction to understand what’s causing this is greatly appreciated.
> Thank you
> —
> Ing. Andrea Vettori

Thanks!