Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Danny Garcia Hernandez <da...@g2k.es> on 2004/11/25 21:58:51 UTC

derby inside pda

Hello List, i´m a beginner for derby but not a beginner for rdbms world.

I´m looking for a database engine to use inside PDA. The program using
the database is an intensive database program. Derby have to answer veru
fast to sql query against articles table with more then 70000 record.
The same for clients and price tables.

It´s the right place to ask for?. Can i use derby inside PDA with J2ME,
CLDC1.1 and MIDP2.0 ?

Thank in advanced
Danny

Re: derby inside pda

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
> >Danny Garcia Hernandez wrote:

> >>Can i use derby inside PDA with J2ME, CLDC1.1 and MIDP2.0 ?
>

> >J2ME is on the To Do list at
> >http://incubator.apache.org/derby/DerbyToDo.html . According to the
> >"Progress" column it's "actively being worked on".
>

> but that work is aimed at J2ME/CDC/Foundation with JSR169 as the
> database interface (JDBC 3.0 sub-set).
>
> Derby at this point in time does not work on CLDC and MIDP.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll add this to the FAQ.

 -jean

Re: derby inside pda

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: derby inside pda

Posted by Danny Garcia Hernandez <da...@g2k.es>.
Joseph Monti wrote:
>>Can i use derby inside PDA with J2ME, CLDC1.1 and MIDP2.0 ?
>

> This is probably a question you've already considered, but what about
> running the database off the PDA? Does the PDA have networking
> capability?
>
> What you were talking about seems pretty intense for a PDA as far as the
> processing power and memory requirements are concerned.
>
> - Joe

Hi Joe.

The app is designed to run offline, by the moment. Together, the pda's
hardware and database engine, may work with a lot of records inside DB.

The first test for this application have about 75 000 articles records
and about 200 000 records in the price´s table. For this reason i wrote
that it's an "intensive dababase applicaction inside pda".

Thanks in advanced
Danny

Re: derby inside pda

Posted by Joseph Monti <mo...@smartrobots.com>.
> Can i use derby inside PDA with J2ME, CLDC1.1 and MIDP2.0 ?

This is probably a question you've already considered, but what about
running the database off the PDA? Does the PDA have networking
capability?

What you were talking about seems pretty intense for a PDA as far as the
processing power and memory requirements are concerned.

- Joe

[ Joseph Monti                            ___ ___ _ _     ]
[ Software Engineer                      / __| _ \ | |    ]
[ Smart Robots, Inc                      \__ \   /_  _|   ]
[ monti@smartrobots.com                  |___/_|_\ |_|    ]
[ http://www.smartrobots.com/                             ]

Re: derby inside pda

Posted by Danny Garcia Hernandez <da...@g2k.es>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

Hi Dan!!

It´s my problem. First, i´m working to run the app into pda device with
J2ME/CDC/Foundation complian engine. Derby appear to be a solutions for
database intensive app inside PDA.

How do you think about that? It´s posible to run derby inside pda device
  with J2ME/CDC/Foundation profile? Maybe in the future?

Thank in advanced
Danny

Re: derby inside pda

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.