Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <Ja...@Sun.COM> on 2010/02/23 16:12:15 UTC

Felix & Maven & NetBeans 6.9M1

Dear Felix developers and users,
I'd like you to look at our OSGi support in NetBeans 6.9M1 (based around
Felix). We are looking for comments especially about our generated pom.xml and
suggestions what else we shall generate there.

Please glance at
http://wiki.netbeans.org/NewAndNoteWorthy
page to see what should be available. Download NetBeans 6.1M1 Java SE edition
or more from
http://bits.netbeans.org/netbeans/6.9/m1/
and feel free to send comments here or directly to me.

I know David Savage already pointed us to Sigil and PAX, but I hope this time
we can actually get patch for the generated pom.xml. Thanks in advance for
making my favorite IDE more useful!
-jst

PS: You may need to be on Unix and not Windows to make the system really run
due to error while working with Ant's pathconvert and / and \.
PPS: Yes, we would be glad to eliminate this Ant part of pom.xml altogether.

RE: Felix & Maven & NetBeans 6.9M1

Posted by Craig Phillips <lc...@praxiseng.com>.
Slightly off topic, but not entirely...

Maven == Disaster

The framework is the convention, not a build tool;

It's time to think outside of the box... I continually contend our industry has no vision for decades and that the last thoughtful leadership our industry had goes back to Grady Booch, and before that, Yourdon;

I have developed a few demonstrations of "source bundle"; A source bundle is a bundle with dot.java files, not dot.class files (extend to other languages, compiled or not);  The framework does the build based on the manifest entries; Further, a la source bundle, you no longer need convoluted CM baseline strategies;

This also leads into the notion of "virtual environment(s)"; A proper environment will not have anyone "jumping aside to run mvn" for anything, let alone "generating pom's";

Regards, Craig Phillips, Praxis Engineering