Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Vianen, Jeroen van" <je...@satama.com> on 2004/04/21 12:24:51 UTC

New JSP 2.0 mailer taglib

Hi,

I did a complete rewrite of the mailer taglib 1.1 to make it a JSP 2.0
mailer taglib. It can be found at http://www.vanvianen.nl/mailer2/

Features:
- Send simple plain text e-mails
- Attach local (file) or external (url) attachments to a message
- Create HTML formatted messages
- Create multipart/alternative HTML and plain text messages
- Save messages in a scope for later use
- Send messages in a background thread for better response times, or
directly
  to get better feedback
- Use JSTL 1.1 EL throughout
- PLAIN or LOGIN SMTP authentication
- Configure server, port, username and password from your web.xml

Why a new taglib?
- JSP 2.0 and JSTL 1.1 allow a more flexible way of configuring and using a
taglib
- Create a mailer taglib with JSTL and EL in mind
- No need to use custom EL Evaluators that are unnecessary in a JSP 2.0
environment
- Some features are missing from the 1.1 version: multipart mail, background
or foreground sending of mail, better tag lifecycle management, saving
messages, configuration.

Requirements:
- JDK 1.4
- JSP 2.0 container, like Tomcat 5.x or Resin 3.x
- mail.jar and activation.jar from a J2EE 1.4 distribution

How to deploy the examples:
- Unzip the attachment
- Copy build.properties.sample to build.properties
- Update build.properties and set the location of the required jar files
- ant all
- Deploy mailer2.war in your favorite JSP 2.0 container.

The example JSPs and Javadoc should give a good overview of what is possible
and how the library can be used.

Please have a look and let me know what you think of it, especially what
aditional features you would like to see and what bugs you encounter. I
would like it to become the new JSP 2.0 version of the mailer taglib and
therefore become a part of the taglib sandbox.

Of course, this taglib is still considered beta.

Regards and have fun,

Jeroen

Re: New JSP 2.0 mailer taglib

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.
Hi Jeroen,

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 07:24, Vianen, Jeroen van wrote:

> Please have a look and let me know what you think of it, especially what
> aditional features you would like to see and what bugs you encounter.

I won't have time to analyze it in the next days, but I have no
objection on moving it to the sandbox (as much as we explain the
situation).

> I would like it to become the new JSP 2.0 version of the mailer taglib and
> therefore become a part of the taglib sandbox.

Regarding future plans, we had some discussions a couple of weeks ago
about creating a generic framework that would make it easier to create
taglibs for both EL and JSP 2.0 versions.

We cannot deliver JSP 2.0 only taglibs, as many people/projets depends
on JSP 1.2. We could fork mailer (or any other taglig) to have 2
versions (JSP 1.2 or 2.0), but that would be a nightmare to maintain.
So, we need a better/clever solution....

I've been thinking in such a solution for a while, but haven't got the
time to test it and express the schema in words/diagrams. I will try to
do something over this weekend (or most likely the next one) and send
the results to the list.

Regards,

Felipe