Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Douglas Bullard <db...@nurflugel.com> on 2009/10/11 02:17:49 UTC

Ivy Tools Suite now available!

I use Ivy daily in large projects, and it’s made life a whole lot
easier.  But I always felt it was lacking in tools for managing and
browsing repositories - so I wrote some.  A suite of tools, actually.
They’re all open-source, available on my Google Code project (Ivy-
Tools).

To download and use these (they’re all Java WebStart, requiring JRE
1.6+), go to my project page at: http://ivy-tools.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/webstart/index.html

What are the tools?  There are four of them:

Ivy Browser - Search an Ivy repository for libraries, packages, and
versions by key words.  Click on a line in the UI to paste the needed
text into your Ivy file.

Ivy Builder - Easily add new items into your repository, and link the
dependencies to existing items.  Generates the repository XML file and
needed checksums.

Ivy Grapher - My favorite!  Graph your Ivy reports (in the .ivy
folder) to see what's not being used. Redundant or evicted revisions
called out by your ivy.xml file show up in red.  Example images are
visible on a link here.  Note that this application needs AT&T's
GraphViz viewer to be installed to work (OS X, Linux, and Windows) - http://www.graphviz.org/
  .

Ivy Formatter: - Easily format your Ivy files so they’re pretty.
Lines up all those orgs, modules, revs, etc.

Feedback is appreciated - bugs welcome.  This is a Google Code
project, so if you’ve got ideas, contributors are welcome.

Enjoy!

Douglas Bullard
Nurflugel.com

RE: Ivy Tools Suite now available!

Posted by Georges Labrèche <gl...@stream57.com>.
Yes. As far as I know Archiva only offers repository search and browsing. Would be nice to have dependency graphing integrated to it.

Regardless of Archiva being maven-centric and can still be configured to work along with Ivy. That is the setup I have: Archiva + Ivy.

Archiva or others repository manager like Nexus or Artifactory are Maven
centric.

@Georges   Is that your idea to extend Archiva with the integration of 'Ivy
Tools Suite' for managing Ivy repositories?

RE: Ivy Tools Suite now available!

Posted by Georges Labrèche <gl...@stream57.com>.
Interesting. Ever thought of contributing work to the guys at Archiva? The Grapher would be an interesting feature to have in it!

Posted by Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Excellent work Douglas!
I've added a reference to your project on the Ivy website.

Maarten

Posted by Douglas Bullard <db...@nurflugel.com>.
Cool, thanks!

Douglas Bullard

Posted by Douglas Bullard <db...@nurflugel.com>.
I’m not sure this would be a good fit, for a couple of reasons…

These are all designed to be client apps to help manage a vanilla
repository, whereas archiva would be a server-based solution.  Given
that at my company, getting anything installed on the server requires
umpteen approvals takes forever, the client side tools don’t, so
it’s more flexible in my setup.  Archiva also doesn’t really deal
with your project’s information, which the Grapher app does nicely.

Even though it’s client-based, the Browser (the slowest of the tools,
because it has to parse the entire repository) is still pretty quick -
10-15 seconds to parse a large repository.  Plus, you get the snappy
client tool response, which you never get in a server-based
application (unless it’s in GWT or something).

I’ve thought about hooking the Grapher up into the Browser, that
shouldn’t be too hard (just replace your project’s ivy.xml file
with the library in question)…

The biggest drawback with my setup is the requirement for the graphing
stuff that GraphViz be installed on the client system.  But, if people
want the pretty pictures, that’s usually not an issue ☺

Thanks for the feedback - I’ve already received a few feature
requests (like tying the Grapher into the Browser), and a couple of
bug reports.

Douglas Bullard