Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by Fábio Pisaruk <pi...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/14 16:29:03 UTC

GroupBy column insted of property doesn´t work

Hi,

Is there a way to use groupBy with a column name?
I need to do so 'cause there is no property that uniquely identify the bean
and i am not able to change it do add one.
For example:
Suppose i´ve got two tables: Person and Address.

Person:
    person_id
    first_name
    last_name

Address:
    person_id
    address_id
    address
    country
    city

And two beans:
Person
    firstName
    lastName
    addresses(Address[])
Address
    address
    country
    city

My maps:

<resultMap id="resulMap-person" class="Person" groupBy="person_id">
    <result property="firstName" column="first_name"/>
    <result property="lasttName" column="last_name"/>
    <result property="addresses" resultMap="resultMap-adress"/>
</resultMap>

<resultMap id="resulMap-address" class="Address">
    <result property="address" column="address"/>
    <result property="country" column="country"/>
    <result property="city" column="city"/>
</resultMap>

My sql:

<select id="get-person-by-id" parameterClass="int"
resultMap="resulMap-person">
    select p.person_id,p.first_name,p.last_name,a.address,a.city,a.country
    from Person p ,Address a
    where p.person_id=#value# and p.person_id=a.person_id
</select>

In doing so i am not getting the desired result.
Person information are replicated for each address it contains.

PS: I know two workarounds that i don´t consider good solutions:
1-) Creating a wrapperPerson with a person_id attribute and having Ibatis
grouping result on it or
2-) using a nested select to get address for each person:
     <result property="addresses" select="get-addresses-by-person_id"
column="person_id"/>
<select id="get-addresses-by-person_id" parameterClass="int"
resultMap="resultMap-adress">
    select * from Address where person_id=#value#
</select>

Thanks in advance

--
Visto como se não executa logo a sentença sobre a má obra, o coração dos
filhos dos homens está inteiramente disposto a praticar o mal.

--Nerd´s sign

If you have four classes, Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody, if
Somebody has a bug, it could be Anybody 's fault but Nobody really knows,
while Everybody shares responsibility.

bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build
bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook

Re: GroupBy column insted of property doesn´t work

Posted by Lisa Jenkins <li...@investoranalytics.com>.
Ah, then why have it in your select -- select
p.person_id,p.first_name,p.last_name,a.address,a.city,a.country ??  I
think, based on the documentation I've seen, the groupBy only works if
the groupBy column referenced is a result property column in the
resultMap, which may be your problem.

from the ibatis documentation...

Avoiding N+1 Selects (1:M and M:N)

This is similar to the 1:1 situation above, but is of even greater
concern due to the potentially large amount
of data involved.  The problem with the solution above is that whenever
you load a Category, two SQL
statements are actually being run (one for the Category and one for the
list of associated Products).  This
problem seems trivial when loading a single Category, but if you were to
run a query that loaded ten (10)
Categories, a separate query would be run for each Category to load its
associated list of Products.  This
results in eleven (11) queries total: one for the list of Categories and
one for each Category returned to load
each related list of Products (N+1 or in this case 10+1=11).  To make
this situation worse, we’re dealing
with potentially large lists of data.

1:N & M:N Solution

iBATIS fully solves the N+1 selects solution.  Here is an example:

<sqlMap namespace="ProductCategory">

<resultMap id=”categoryResult” class=”com.ibatis.example.Category”
groupBy=”id”>
<result property=”id” column=”CAT_ID”/>
<result property=”description” column=”CAT_DESCRIPTION”/>
<result property=”productList” resultMap=”ProductCategory.productResult”/>
</resultMap>

<resultMap id=”productResult” class=”com.ibatis.example.Product”>
<result property=”id” column=”PRD_ID”/>
<result property=”description” column=”PRD_DESCRIPTION”/>
</resultMap>

<select id=”getCategory”  parameterClass=”int” resultMap=”categoryResult”>
select C.CAT_ID,  C.CAT_DESCRIPTION, P.PRD_ID, P.PRD_DESCRIPTION
from CATEGORY C
left outer join PRODUCT P
on C.CAT_ID = P.PRD_CAT_ID
where CAT_ID = #value#