Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/07 15:16:35 UTC

Dealing with deprecated repos

Continuation of discussion from
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/affbc74f0ff4d34bc09657c3c302e185cc98b946d260184847fdf191@%3Cdev.cordova.apache.org%3E

I think it is not desired to actively support deprecated repos. I
think the easiest solution is to simply make those repos archived.

But what if there are people still using the deprecated repos who are
motivated to take them over?

Re: Dealing with deprecated repos

Posted by gandhi rajan <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 for archiving repos and documenting them.

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018, Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's make it formal with what we had in the repo, perhaps a new page
> or section in the docs somewhere.
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 6:09 PM Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Please note that this part of the discussion with me playing devil's
> > advocate - I pretty much agree with what you are saying.
> >
> > Is there any way users can find out about new forks of deprecated
> > repos? Fork network view on Github maybe? Then adding a link to that
> > in the deprecation notice would be a nice move.
> >
> > Any other comments regarding a possible "Cordova Deprecation Policy"
> > than what Julio already wrote?
> >
> > -J

> > > This is the deprecation policy from cordova-plugin-contacts
> > >
> > > Deprecation Notice
> > > This plugin is being deprecated. No more work will be done on this
> plugin
> > > by the Cordova development community. You can continue to use this
> plugin
> > > and it should work as-is in the future but any more arising issues
> will not
> > > be fixed by the Cordova community.
> > >
> > > All the deprecated repos have a similar deprecation notice.
> > >
> > > Other than that, I don't think we have something more official. Also, I
> > > don't know were/if that message was discussed.
> > >
> > > What I said on my previous message is my interpretation of "work", for
> me
> > > what I said is work, not sure if everybody agrees on that, and it's not
> > > official, just my opinion. Also my opinion of Cordova Community is
> > > everybody who wants to contribute, not just the committers.
> > >
> > > We have dozens of repos and hundreds of open PRs that we aren't able to
> > > manage, so keeping the deprecated repos open for issues/PRs in case
> > > somebody want to fix something will just bring frustration to those
> people
> > > as their PRs won't be reviewed/merged. And if we plan on continuing
> > > reviewing/merging on deprecated repos, why did we deprecate them on the
> > > first place?
> > >
> > > El mié., 8 ago. 2018 a las 11:26, Jan Piotrowski (<
> piotrowski@gmail.com>)

> decided?

> on it.

> continuing
> when we

> official

> piotrowski@gmail.com>

> (we

> very

> PRs

> they

> repos

> dev-help@cordova.apache.org

Gandhi

"The best way to find urself is to lose urself in the service of others !!!"

Re: Dealing with deprecated repos

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
We can probably unarchive and re-archive, but as long as we need to ask
infra to do it, I don't find it reasonable to do it to just edit the README
to point to a new repo. I would only do it in case there are some security
fix we have to land.

Anyway, even for security fixes I think we have a 6 month policy of
support. I think all repos have been deprecated for more than 6 months.
Unless that 6 month support policy is just for back porting fixes to older
versions and we have a different one for deprecated repos.

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
Again you split the discussion in 2 places by repeating here what you
already commented on the PR. Please stop doing so and complaining how
complicated and scattered everything is in other threads. This is part
of the reason.

I responded to your PR comment.

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
And Part #2:

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
Part #1:

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
+1

cordova.apache.org/contribute/deprecation_policy.html
<http://ordova.apache.org/contribute/deprecation_policy.html> maybe?

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
> I wouldn't point to a fork, because that will mean we have to search for
> the forks and decide which one is better. Also in case we want to do that,
> we should do it before archiving. If a better fork appears after archiving
> we won't be able to change.
>
> I think best option is to point to network tab of github (in case people
is
> not aware of it). There you can see all forks available and easily spot
> extra commits people has done in an easy and visually way.

Sorry if that was not clear, this is exactly what I meant. The standard
deprecation notice text should include a general link to /network of the
repo with some appropriate language and explanation how to look for forks.

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.
> Is there any way users can find out about new forks of deprecated
> repos? Fork network view on Github maybe?

I just forked https://github.com/nodejs/wiki-archive which they
archived. My fork show up in:
https://github.com/nodejs/wiki-archive/network/member

My fork has PRs enabled by default. I was also able to enable issues on my fork.

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
Let me play devil's advocate:

Posted by Gearóid M <de...@gearoid.me>.

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ra...@gmail.com.

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
What is the current (probably unwritten) rule regarding deprecation
and archival of Cordova repositories?

-J