Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Chuck Foley <cf...@incentivesystems.com> on 2000/09/28 20:31:29 UTC

BUG? - "Expected comment or CDATA"

Dear xerces developers:
I have encountered a case of an XML file which produces the error "Expected
comment or CDATA" instead of parsing as well formed.  I believe the file is
well formed, since there is no obvious violation, and also since it parses
as well formed with other parsers (eg. XML Spy, expat).

Some relevant information:
- xerces-c 1.2.0
- WinNT 4.0 sp3 and Win2000
- MSVC 6.0 sp4, and reproduced with saxcount.exe in the \bin directory of
downloaded xerces-c
- Test data to reproduce, with document explaining, is at:
ftp.incentivesystems.com <ftp://ftp.incentivesystems.com>    (or
204.254.168.123)
User ID: carrot
Password: development
Directory: /FTP/development

There can be found three XML files - one which reproduces the problem, and
two others with only tiny modifications which result in parsing well formed.
There is also an html document which describes the three files (differences
between them) and the results.  N.B. sorry for the size of the files, but as
you will see, attempting to reduce the volume of them results in the error
going away (whereas I have made the error go away by introducing the
smallest possible modfication).
I would be extremely grateful if someone knowledgeable could look into this
and resolve it.
Thanks in advance,
- Chuck Foley
cfoley@incentivesystems.com
(781)685-0136

Re: BUG? - "Expected comment or CDATA"

Posted by Bob Kline <bk...@rksystems.com>.
On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Chuck Foley wrote:

> Dear xerces developers:
> I have encountered a case of an XML file which produces the error "Expected
> comment or CDATA" instead of parsing as well formed.  I believe the file is
> well formed, since there is no obvious violation, and also since it parses
> as well formed with other parsers (eg. XML Spy, expat).

Umm, isn't this the same bug I reported (with a patch) back on the 7th
of this month?  I believe Andy applied the patch within 24 hours (and
even improved it).  Doesn't get much more responsive than this.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline@rksystems.com